The end of summer

Reese

After spending the day at the beach, I resigned myself to Rafe only helping me. Between our morning runs, breakfast bet, and running into each other randomly, it wasn't like anything was developing between us. I thought it was at the beach, but it wasn't.

I didn't have an awkward encounter with Sage's cousin Odin after the bakery incident. Thank God. I didn't want to admit that I got blotto because of Rafe and slept with a random stranger. Especially since it was my first time. The situation was embarrassing as it was.

Since we were leaving tomorrow, I spent most of the day washing my clothes and packing. Devin tapped on the bedroom door. I turned to face him.

"I got you something." He held up a pair of cross country running shoes in his hand.

"Devin, you didn't need to buy me new running shoes."

Devin strolled into the bedroom and handed me the shoes. "Reese, you found something you enjoy after Mom and Dad died. If I can keep that joy, then so be it."

I offered him a small smile and a hug.

Devin squeezed me, then pulled back and studied my face. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I forced a smile.

"You don't seem fine." He raised his brow.

"It's nothing."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

Devin dropped his hands and shoved them into his front jean pockets. "Reese, you've been spending a lot of time with a certain Harper boy."

I played with my fingers and shifted my weight from each leg.

Cory poked his head into my bedroom. "Are we discussing Rafe?"

"No, we weren't," I said.

Cory strolled over to us. "Are you sure? Because you spent most of the summer with Rafe."

"I have not!"

"Uh, yeah, you have." Brian sauntered into my bedroom. "Where's Reese? Oh, she's running with Rafe." Brian used each finger for each point. "She's having lunch with Rafe. Going to the beach with Rafe. Hanging out with her friends and Rafe."

My brothers crossed their arms and quirked their brows.

I closed my eyes and clamped my mouth shut. I focused on my breathing to calm myself. Then I opened my eyes. "Rafe has been helping me."

"Are you sure? Because most guys don't spend time with a girl and not pursue them," Cory said.

"Well, Rafe does." I shrugged.

"Uh, huh," Brian said.

"It's not like Rafe would date me, anyway," I mentioned.

"Who says?" Devin asked.

"Because I'm not girlfriend material," I replied.

My brothers knitted their brows. It's a hard lesson to learn when it smacks you in the face.

"Did you bother to give things a chance with Rafe? Maybe he is waiting for a chance to ask you out," Cory said.

"Doubtful, but thanks for the reassurance. Now, excuse me. I need to finish packing." I pushed my brothers out of my room as they protested and closed the door. I would never finish if I didn't force them to leave.

I grabbed a pile of clothes, folded them, and placed them in the box. Someone tapped on my bedroom door. I groaned and answered the door.

"What did I say?" I opened the door to find Rafe standing there. My mouth opened.