Not everyone possesses athletic abilities

Rafe

After talking to Patton, I enlisted help from my brothers and the girls to get Reese ready for volleyball. We stood in the gym next to the volleyball net while Romeo spun the ball on his fingertip.

"Are you done showing off?" I asked Romeo.

"I'm not showing off but exhibiting my skills," Romeo said with a shrug.

Val walked over and snatched the ball from Romeo. "Listen, dicklicker. It's too early for your bullshit."

"Someone's cranky," Romeo mumbled.

I shook my head and rubbed my forehead because I wanted to hurt Romeo. We had a week to get Reese ready and didn't have time for his bullshit.

"If you can't play volleyball, how did you make the team?" Marty asked Reese.

My brothers looked at Reese.

"Not many people signed up for it, so I figured I had a shot," Reese said with a shrug.

"Are you kidding? You sucked in gym class when it came to sports," Bailey said.

"Well, I can run," Reese remarked.

"Because you run from everything," Sage mentioned.

We glanced at Sage.

"Issues? There goes Reese. Relationships? Bye, Reese. Confrontation? Reese went that way," Sage said, pointing the opposite direction.

Reese crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at Sage.

I shook my head. "Okay, settle down, Esmeralda. Reese has gotten better with running from situations because my legs are longer. It's easier for me to catch her."

My brothers snickered while the girls rolled their eyes.

"Can we get to work so I can go back to bed?" Pat asked us.

"Fine," I said.

My brothers and I showed Reese how to serve, set, and hit the ball. Each of us took turns and practiced with her. It didn't go well.

Reese either hit Rome in the head with the ball, missed the ball and collided with Val, knocked Marty over, or tripped Pat and landed on top of him. My brothers almost lost their shit and added tension between them and me.

Eventually, we call it a day with helping Reese. I love my girl, but pissing off my brothers won't help the situation.

*******
Reese

Everyone left the gym besides Rafe and me. I walked over to the volleyball, snatched it into my hands, and moved it around.

Rafe ambled towards me. "Today was the first day."

"The first day of disaster." I sighed as I moved the ball around in my hands.

"Not every day will be a winner."

"No, but I don't want to fail either."

"What do you mean?"

I averted my eyes while playing with the ball. "I want to make you proud."

"Who says that you don't?"

My face snapped in Rafe's direction.

"You didn't give up on me. I won't give up on you." Rafe shrugged.

"But I'm terrible at volleyball."

"Then we'll make you better."

I arched my brow as Rafe moved behind me. He placed his hands on mine and guided me through the movements. His body pressed against mine as we walked me through the steps. Then he stepped next to me and showed me what to do. We practiced for an hour before heading back to the house.