Tis the season for honesty

Devin

I left Cory and Brian to deal with the tree while taking care of Reese. I took two steps at a time, strode to Reese's bedroom door, and opened it to find her sitting on her bed with her head down. After closing the door, I crept toward her bed, and she sat down next to me. We sat in silence for a few minutes.

I glanced at Reese. "I didn't want you to find out this way."

Reese lifted her head and turned to me. "When were you planning to tell me? Or we're you never going to tell me? Which one is it, Devin?"

"I wanted to wait until you had gotten old enough to understand before telling you the truth. After Mom and Dad died...."

"You mean Grandma and Grandpa."

I knitted my brows.

Reese stood up and turned to me. "Everyone lied to me!" Reese pointed her fingers at her chest.

I rose to my feet. "We wanted to protect you."

"From what, Devin?"

I looked at Reese with crumpled brows.

"You lied to me! Mom and Dad lied to me! Oh, excuse me! Grandma and Grandpa lied." Reese put up her palm to me.

"Reese...."

"Save it." Reese rushed past me, running down the stairs.

I ran after Reese, hoping to explain to her. "Reese!"

We reached the main floor as my brothers and Rafe stopped messing with the tree.

Reese whipped around and pointed her forefinger at me. "Don't!"

I took a step toward her.

"No! Don't come near me!"

I stopped as Reese marched over to the coat rack, grabbed her winter coat, and stormed out. Rafe chased after her as my brothers looked at me. I put my hands on my waist and shook my head.

*********
Reese

I dragged my coat on and walked down the sidewalk.

"Reese!" Rafe called after me.

I didn't stop walking and wrapped my arms around my body as tears spilled from my eyes. How could they lie to me?

"Reese!" Rafe caught my arm and spun me to face him.

I lifted my face to Rafe's as tears fell down my cheeks. Rafe knitted his brows as I cried. He pulled me to him and held me as my body heaved with sobs. My entire life has been a lie.

********
Tori

I was in the kitchen, grabbing ingredients to make cookies, when my phone rang. "Hello?"

I listened as Rafe explained what happened at Reese's house.

"Of course, you can bring Reese here."

Elias strolled over to the kitchen counter and inspected the items laid out.

"I'll see you soon." I ended the call as Elias glanced at me. "Reese discovered some unsettling news."

"What was the news?"

"Reese found her birth certificate."

"Okay."

"It has her older brother listed as her father." I arched my brow.

Elias's brows lifted as I managed a slight smile. I have a feeling Christmas would bring chaos.

********
Reese