Valentine's Day

Rafe

We managed to get to February in time to celebrate Val's birthday. I called Ma and ran an idea by her. She thought it was a great idea and approved. I'm glad she did, or she would hand my ass to me on a silver platter.

Reese and I asked Nik to use the bakery to create Val's birthday treat. Nik authorized us to put our pastry skills to use.

Reese worked on his birthday cake while I made the strawberry tarts. Romeo and Sage arrived to update us on the other arrangements.

I pulled a baking sheet of tarts from the oven. "What's the latest update?"

"Pat, Rowan, and Leokadia will keep Val busy while Marty and Bailey decorate the house. I designated Liam and Casper to do the grocery shopping," Romeo said.

I set the tray on a cooling rack and inserted another baking sheet of tarts into the oven. "You realize Liam and Casper suck at grocery shopping, don't you?"

"I gave them a list. How badly can they screw it up?"

Reese and I glanced at each other. My brother is an idiot in the third degree. Who the hell sends our dipshit cousins to the grocery store?

********
Casper

I pushed the shopping cart through the aisle as Liam checked the list.

"Okay, we need Doritos, ice cream, meat, sides, and whatever else Romeo told us to get."

"Meat is a broad category. What kind of meat?"

"Doesn't it matter?"

"Well, it's Val's birthday, so yes, it does."

We stood in front of the meat section in the grocery store.

"Do you know what Val likes?" Liam asked.

"I don't even know what Jordin likes. It's not like I pay attention to people's eating habits."

"We could make beef stew."

"Why beef stew?"

"Well, it's hearty and warm on a winter day."

"What about chili?"

"Who's cooking?"

"Beats me." I shrugged.

"Then let's grab hamburgers and chunks of beef. One of the brothers can figure it out."

I nodded as we grabbed hamburger and beef and tossed it into the shopping cart. We added chicken if Val didn't want stew or chili.

After grabbing the meat, we headed to the frozen section and tossed in frozen vegetables.

My phone rang, and I checked the caller ID to see Oliver's name pop up. "Hello?"

Where are you? It's noisy.

"We're grocery shopping for Val's birthday."

Who sent you to the grocery store, and have they lost their minds?

"Romeo sent us to the store with a list."

I should have known Romeo would screw this up.

"You should have prayed for him when Elias asked you."

Put the food back and walk away.

"Shouldn't you encourage your child to learn how to grocery shop?"

You forget how you helped me grocery shop.

"Oreos are a healthy treat."

So are vegetables.