The fool is at it again

Romeo

I enjoyed my peaceful slumber until someone dumped ice-cold water on me. I shot out of bed as Rafe and Marty held empty buckets in their hands.

"Happy birthday, fool," Rafe said.

I glared at them and chased them out of my bedroom. We ran downstairs as Rafe and Marty bolted in opposite directions. I skidded to a halt as Val, Pat, Liam, and Casper held pies in their hands.

Before I could leave, they pelted me with pies. I threw up my hands to shield my face as pies hit me. "Stop!"

My brothers and cousins roared with laughter as I lowered my hands and pie covered me. I removed the pie from my face and flicked it on the ground. "Why?"

"Because it's April's Fool Day, you schmuck," Casper said.

"I hate this fucking day. I can't even have a normal birthday without a stupid prank pulled on me."

The laughter died as my brothers' and cousins' smiles faded. I shook my head and stomped upstairs to shower. After adjusting the water temperature, I peeled off my clothes and stepped into the tub.

Remnants of pie fell in the tub as I scrubbed my hair and body. Why do people find this shit funny? It's not my fault I was born on this stupid day. It's just a reminder of Sloane demolishing me.

"Romeo?" Sage asked.

"What?" I snapped.

"Are you okay?"

I laughed. "Oh, I'm great. Everyone laughed at my expense. It reminds me of what Sloane did to me. Everyone had their fun."

Sage pulled the curtain slightly and knitted her brows. Water dripped from my hair and down my body as I stood under the waterfall.

"I don't want to celebrate my birthday."

"What?"

I shook my head.

"You should celebrate your birthday because it's important."

"Why?"

"Because I want you to have an amazing birthday. So I asked Reese to bake you a cake. Plus, your parents are coming." Sage smiled.

"How did I get so lucky?"

"No, you didn't get lucky. I got lucky because you chose me."

I leaned over and kissed Sage.

"You finish taking your shower. I need to check on your cake."

I nodded and closed the shower curtain as Sage left the bathroom.

******
Sage

So, Romeo's brothers and cousins thought they would be cute and prank Romeo today. Okay. Two can play the game.

I left the house as Romeo's brothers and cousins laughed about their stupid prank. Good. Let them have their fun. They forgot that Ryan Jones was my great-great granddaddy.

I texted the girls, Kate and Hayes, to meet me at the bakery. When I arrived at the bakery, I greeted Brayden and headed to the kitchen.

Reese was sitting on a metal stool, waiting on the cake to get done. "What's with the 411 text message?"

"Wait until the others get here, and I'll explain." Reese arched her brow as the others arrived and entered the kitchen.

"What's going on, Sage?" Rowan asked.

"It seems the Harper brothers and cousins thought it would be cute to prank Romeo," I said.

"But they always prank Romeo on his birthday," Bailey said.