Chapter 6

~°°~Someday, I'll wish upon a star~°°~

Abuja, Nigeria.
4:11 pm.

The splendour light which was dyed on the sky shimmered through the soft clouds giving the noon a beautiful glow. The surface was warm with the rays of light produced by the sun. Wind drifted through the lush green grasses as the smell of pure nature filled the air.

The few people in erudite team who were assigned with the duty of patrolling were on patrol inside the forest. They went out each with a detecting device as they walked deeper into the forest.

Minutes of roaming without any suspicious detection, the detecting device with lieutenant Ray echoed with a beep indicating a found explosive.

On hearing that the whole team moved closer to the beeping, they followed exactly where the beeping was faster and found a hidden explosive beneath dried leaves.

"Lieutenant Zanna, quick, get the bomb suits ready while Lieutenant Jalal, call the camp immediately and inform our major" Ray requested as everyone stepped away from the explosive so as to get into their bomb suits.

"That's it, we will soon get blasted and die. I'm even yet to get married" Zanna joked receiving a glare from Ray. "You'll die alone Lieutenant, because the last time I checked, we weren't born together" he rolled his eyes and walked away without waiting for his reply.

Zanna already had a smirk on his face.

After they were ready in their bomb suits, the soldiers got busy inspecting the explosive before their captain and major arrived. Before anything could be done to the bomb, it needs studying so as not to touch the wrong places which will cause the explosive to go off. Any wrong disconnection can set the whole place and people on a blast.

Sayf was inside his tent reading a book when Aliyu ran to his side holding the talky.

Sayf really liked reading, forgot to mention he had a shelf in his room which was filled with books of different types even though he'd rather go for the educational ones than the romance books. He liked reading because it took him away from his world for minutes without him even realising.

Lieutenant Aliyu informed him about the found explosive and they set out, him and Imran to the location where the bomb was found. They didn't waste any time before they arrived at the location.

"Yes Lieutenant Ray, what do we have here?" Sayf asked almost immediately after they reached the spot, Ray was already sweaty from fear.

"It is a ten pound syntex, possibly with a shrapnel. But the problem is that I can't find the switch, the x-ray diffraction submitted by Lieutenant Aliyu also didn't show anything, I have no Idea why that is happening" Ray explained wiping his face with the back of his palms.

"Just rest, I'll take a look" he said as he proceeded towards the explosive with no bomb suit. Imran on the other side had to put on a bomb suit before proceeding further. No one was as fearless as Sayf, he was a man that had no fear for death.

Knowing that he wouldn't wear the bomb suit, none of them approached him with it which made the trainee extremely surprised.

"Not once in my whole life have I ever seen a soldier who approaches bombs without any protection" Recruit Hameed said to Lieutenant Ray which made him chuckle. "Applies to me too, he was the first. And until now, no one knows the reason for that amongst us" he said inhaling and exhaling deeply.

It didn't take Sayf very long before he found the switch of the explosive and of course, only Hameed the trainee was surprised.

The rest of the team members knew just who he was, how fast he was at defusing bombs, how fast he was at doing things smoothly without any mistake and so there was nothing surprising about how he defused the explosive.