Prologue

The New York car horns beeping, the bar buzzing, my heart racing. I was tired, I have a massive headache, and almost everything I looked at seemed to be off. Very off.

I left Cara and Jay at the bar, wanting to get my way home. I was too tired to call a cab. More like I didn't know which car was a cab and what wasn't. The apartment complex wasn't that far away from the bar. A few blocks and I'd be there. Can I make it? Not even at the slightest. But it is worth the shot.

Waiting for the light to turn red and the busy cars to stop, I waited in the night cold in my outfit that left my arms to receive goosebumps.

My phone buzzed and I took a look at it as it was at the lowest level of brightness. The car horns and flashing lights were back enough.

Jay:

Are you sure you don't want me to give you a ride? I'm pretty scared leaving you out there like this!

Me:

I'll be fine. I'll see you in the morning

Jay is my best friend. Him and Cara have been by my side throughout my whole life. I had went through an eating disorder in the past before bumping up to my level of fashion and modeling. No matter the comments I used to get growing up, Cara and Jay were never afraid to be tagged as "the fat one's friends". They've told me they used to enjoy that name. It's whatever, I guess.

The light hit red and I was able to walk. As I went to check for upcoming cars, they were all stopped. I kept walking the road when a pair of headlights turned the corner. I turn and I froze. I was like a dear in the headlights.

I'm dead.

I felt an arm wrap around my waist before I was lifted and rushed to the other side of the road as the car kept driving down the street in their ridiculous speed.

I placed my hand on their shoulder as I turned and watched a cop car race after the white priest. Ugh! New York!

I turn forward and my eyes lock with the tall brunette man in a light blue button up that had about three buttons undone. I don't even know what to look at anymore. His beautiful feel eyes? Or...well, yeah. That's the tequila talking.

"Are you alright?" The australian male voice asked. I took a hard swallow before nodding.

"Yeah," I said. I realized the man's arm was still wrapped around my waist and I had my hand still grilling his tricep. I looked away from his eyes and stepped away from him as his grip loosened. "Thanks for...you know," I said.

"Of course! That was a close call," he said. "Are you sure you're alright?" He asked again. "You look very shaken up."

I nod and rub my goosebumps filled arm. "Yeah, I'm fine. I guess I just didn't see that coming," I said.

"You don't look too good. Can I escort you to your destination?" He questioned.

"Actually, could you?" I asked him. He nodded and allowed me to walk the way I needed and he followed. "Sorry to do this," I said. "My head is just killing me right now. And I don't know if I can make it back to my place alone."

"Do you have any friends or family that can pick you up?" The man asked me.

"My two friends are still in the bar. I insisted I'd leave early to get my migraine settled. It's one of my friend's birthday today and his favorite drink is tequila. So you know...down the hatch and no chasers!" I said. The man chuckled.

"Fun!" He says. "I'm Luke, by the way. I didn't catch your name," Luke said, now shaking my cold hand.

"Danielle. It's nice to meet you, Luke." He smiled at me and replied back the same way. I took my hand back and grabbed my arms again to keep me warm. "So, what do you do for living?" I asked him, just to keep a conversation going.

"I'm a musician," he told me. "I'm in a band." I looked up at him and nodded.

"Now that sounds fun!" I said.

Luke chuckled. "You like music?"

"Do I ever!" I answered. "I love music!" Luke smiled.

"Awesome!" He said. "What do you do?"

"I'm a model. And sometimes a fashion designer, but that's still running a bit slowly," I said with a chuckle.

"Do you like it?" I looked up from my feet as we were a couple feet away from the apartment doors.

"What do you mean?"

"Sometimes models don't enjoy what they do. Do you?" I nodded.

"Yeah. I've kind of made a name for myself. I'm proud of it?" I said with a smile. Luke smiled at me as we came to a stop outside the doors.

"You should be. You're a beautiful girl." That made me heat up inside and I suddenly wasn't so cold anymore.

I looked up at the the building and cleared my throat to end our staring. "Well...this is me. It was nice meeting you Luke," I said.

"Nice meeting you too Miss Danielle!"

"Thanks for saving me." Luke nodded and winked before he continued to walk back the way we came as he put his cellphone to his ear.

Luke was nice. He was sweet. He was charming. I wish I could get to know him more. But that was my chance. And I never saw Luke again.