twenty-eight

(Luke's POV)

 I was surprisingly up by eight the next next morning. I rubbed the tiredness, the headache, and the anger out of my eyes from last night. It was definitely an eventful night. I think everyone would have to agree. Because that was not the night I expected to happen when literally three days ago, Dani and I just argued once again and went right back to hating each other. If I'm honest, I'm surprised we haven't killed each other yet. 

   As I was staring at the blank television, I heard my hotel room door open a crack. "Hey, are you awake?" I heard a softer and quiet voice that came from Ashton. 

       "Yeah," I responded back to him. I heard the door open more and it sounded like it was going back to shut, which meant Ashton entered the door fully. 

       "That's a shock. But I left my laptop in here from yesterday. Do you remember where I put it?" He asked from the living room area of my room. He usually enters the bedroom door first, but he took the shortcut finally. Make your life easier Ash! 

      "On the coffee table it should still be," I said in a softer tone," I answered. 

       "Oh, yeah...there it is. I found it." I heard his laptop get picked up off the table and heard his footsteps travel. I keep forgetting that we all get a copy of each other's room key when on tour out of the country. Because we're always in and out of each other's room doing last minute planning, we decided why not have a copy of everyone's room key. 

       "Hey, you'll probably kill me but I have a question," he said. 

       "What's up," I said. 

        "Can you explain to me what just-" Ashton entered the room and froze in his walk. He looked at me and I looked up back at him from my staring trance at the television. "Um, make that two questions? We're gonna mix it up...what is she doing in here?" 

        Ashton pointed at Danielle, who was underneath my covers, head on side of my leg. I was running my fingers through her hair gently - which I didn't even realize I was still doing - to keep her calm. I started doing it last night until I fell asleep. 

      "I thought you took her back to her room." 

      "I was going to but I stopped in here for something and for her to calm down before I were to take her back because I didn't want to leave her alone since she was still in a traumatic state. And she fell asleep on the bed, so I just left her in here," I answered simply. See, it sounds like it makes 100% complete sense in my head. But because the boys know about the argument that happened the other day, this clearly isn't normal for us right now. Let alone would have been at all. 

        "How was she last night?" Ashton asked, walking closer to the bed to get a better look at her face. 

       "Still in a panic. But I managed to calm her down before I left her for a moment to go to the fridge and she was out like a light," I told him as I looked down at her as my fingers scraped her scalp gently. 

       "Okay, brings me to my next question: what the hell happened last night?" He asked me. "I knew you had that in you, but not for her." Ashton does make a point. I didn't know I had the defense mechanism isn't of me all for her. 

      "I don't know to be honest," I said after a moment, shrugging. I looked up at Ashton and the look on his face told me he could sense I was thinking something rather than saying it. "I guess I just kinda flipped." 

      Ashton just looked at me as a smile crept up onto his lips. "What?" I asked. He scoffed before he fell into a light chuckle. 

      "So we're just gonna sit here and pretend that your gut feeling is not what we're all thinking?"