thirty-four

(Luke's POV)

      Eating disorder is back? Not purposeful? Is that possible? But outside of that, Danielle went through an eating disorder? 

        "You had an eating disorder?" 

        "I hit a year of stoppage when we made it to Australia," she admitted to me. 

       "Well, Dani, you need to get it checked out. I don't know if having an eating disorder accidentally is possible," I recommend. 

         "Could you go with me if I did?" 

         "I mean, it just depends on when it is to be completely honest with you," I told her. She dropped her head with a small nod. "But if I'm still in town, yeah I'll go," I told her. "Just promise me to have finished three of these by the end of the day and eat that apple before we leave this studio. I promise, we won't be here much longer." Danielle nodded at me and I pulled her up to her feet. We walked back to the studio room and all eyes landed on her. Visibly uncomfortable, I walked to the side of her so she didn't have to see their eyes, but she still apologized. 

      "Sorry guys," she said. 

      "No!" Ashton assured. 

      "You're fine!" 

      "Are you alright?" Michael asked after Calum. She nodded and hummed her answer of yes. I walked her back to the seat she was sitting on and placed her water bottle down, telling her to try her apple soon. 

      She has not been talking at all since she walked in. She was kind of back to her normal silence that she's been in for the last few weeks. The only person she'll really talk to is me. If she needs me, she'll text me, walk up to me and pull my shirt, or even just throw something at me to get my attention. She's done that at least five times and I continue to wonder where she even is getting the items to throw at me. 

       I walked back to my seat and picked up my noteboom and pen that Ashton placed on the table for me after I dipped to help Danielle. 

      "She we do something?" Ashton whispered to me. I shook my head. 

       "No, she just doesn't want to talk." 

       "But out of all people, she's talked to you," Calum said. 

        "Frankly, it doesn't make sense." In my head on a normal day for us, it makes total sense and that freaks me out. But because she explained to me why it's easier for her to listen and talk to me, it makes sense on why she only will let me hear her voice. 

        "I would explain it to you, but I don't know how to," I lied. I could explain it. But not while Dani was here. 

~°~

I dropped Dani back home and walked in the house with her. She ate her apple today without any problems, so I figured something healthy again would still help her. I put the salads that I bought for us on her island. 

      "Thanks for bringing me home," she said walking into the kitchen. She then froze in the doorway and closed her eyes, hands clinched together into fists. I stopped rummaging through the bag and looked at her. 

      "Dani," I said to her. She eyes squeezed tighter like something was worse. "Dani, what's wrong?" I asked her. 

      She took a deep breath before her fist unclenched. "I-" she stuttered. "I-"

       "Danielle, what's wrong?" I asked again. 

       "First time I've walked back into this house without him and-" she stopped again. I set the box in my hand down and walked to her. "I didn't hear his paws on the floor," she finally made out. I sighed, knowing what she was saying. 

       Any time we would come back to her house after a day, Jet's claws would hit the hardwood floor, rushing from where ever he was, running his way to find Danielle and meet her at her feet. Petunia does the same to me every time I come back from your. And almost anytime I walk back into the house. Not hearing that when you're used to it, that's gotta hit you hard in the heart. This poor girl. 

        I pulled Dani into my chest and wrapped my arms around her. She wrapped her arms weakly around my back as I heard her trying to stop herself from breaking down again. I heard her sniffle im my chest as I laid my head on top of hers. I rocked her in my arms. This is just sad.