thirty-one

(Luke's POV)

      "Did Dani make it home okay?" Ashton asked me.

       "Yeah, she just got in." I was eating lunch with Ashton outside of a restaurant in Texas. Danielle just landed her flight more than half an hour ago. She was really freaking out about Jet being sick. I've never seen her that distraught before. 

       "Have you been talking to her before that?" Ashton asked, picking at his food again with his fork as I remained eyes in my phone, texting Dani. "Hello?" Ashton said. I then felt a kick underneath the table. I looked up at him. 

        "What?" I asked, coming back to our conversation. 

         "You okay?" 

         "Yeah, I'm chill, why?" 

         "Well I asked if you've been talking to Dani and you just ignored me and continue to type," he told me. Oh, whoops. 

        "Oh!" I said. "Yeah, sorry. Yeah, I'm talking to her right now. She's waiting for her car but she said she's doing more calm. But until she got some sleep on the plane which wasn't enough, she was panicking to the point she was making herself nauseous," I told Ashton. His face dropped in sadness. 

         "Awe man, poor girl," he said. "That dog is a lot to her, isn't he?" 

       "That's her baby," I said. "She told me outside of all her friends that's she's with almost every day, he is the only thing she's got. That's basically her comfort person," I explained to Ashton. Last night, Dani went into about how Jet used his senses. When she wasn't feeling good, he'd go over to her and sit with her. If she was upset and sad, he'd lay on her lap and just continuously lick her until she felt better. He'd even crawl onto her chest when she lays down and just sits there until she was better. 

Dani: 

I almost don't even want to go home.

it's sad that it's that way 

Me: 

I know, but you need to. 

      "She doesn't want to go home," I told Ashton. Ashton looked back up at me as his facial expression dropped again. 

      "Man," he says. 

      "It pains me to see her this hurt," I admitted to him. No matter how angry we can ever get at each other, I wouldn't wish this upon her in a million years. I wouldn't wish this upon anybody. If that were me in her shoes, man, I'd be a blubbering mess I can't even lie. 

     "You really are in love with her, aren't you?" Ashton said again. That made me roll my eyes quickly underneath my glasses. I lifted my head a bit to look him though. 

      "I care for her, I can tell you that much," I profess. That was one thing I would allow myself to really admit to was the care that I have for this woman. I respect her. Yes. I like her. Sometimes. Care for her, more than I thought I would. 

      "Oh, you're so full of shit!" Ashton said with a laugh. "But I can see that you do," he said. "It shows a lot." 

       "Like, I know we get off on the wrong foot often, but that doesn't mean that I like to argue with her. I just wish things were kosure between us." 

      "Then keep it kosure," Ashton suggested. I looked up at him from my phone. 

      "Why do you say it like I start every argument," I asked him. 

      "I'm not saying you do. But I'm not saying you don't. You just have a quick temper as of late and it seemed to have started with her." Ashton was right. My temper started to become super low ever since Danielle and I first had our argument in Ashton's home studio. "Look, what I'm saying is, just because she raises her voice, doesn't mean you have to. Just because she raises tone or attitude, doesn't mean you echo that. Just be sain."