twenty-seven

(Luke's POV)

"Down the hatch! Let's go round seven!" Ashton said. I stood between Crystal and Dani as we all slapped our shot glasses on the table, lifted them up, and dumped it down our throats for the seventh bottom's up shot we had in a row. I didn't think it was too much, but I don't know how well Dani can hold her liquor. I just know she gets pretty tipsy after ten good shots - one after another.

"Holy shit, that one stung," Crystal stated, slamming her glass down as she rubbed her chest with the other hand.

"That one got me too," Calum informed us. Crystal grabbed her water bottle and took a few big jugs. Whatever number shot we were on, was how many gulps of water she downed. Fair enough, we've gotta have somebody who's near sober for us.

"I think that one fucked up Dani," Michael said over the loud music. I turn and look over at Dani, who was hunched over, hands on the table, her head hanging down between her arms.

"Hey, you good hon?" Ashton asked her, placing a hand on her back. She didn't respond. Ashton knelt down to her ear, saying something in her ear. She nodded her head slightly. I heard Ashton mumble something else to her and she shook her head no this time.

Something didn't seem right.

I bent over next to her ear closest to me, seeing if she was okay. "Hey, you alright? You need some water?" I asked her. She nodded her head. I saw her eyes pinch closed, harder than what she already had done. I stood up and asked for Calum to pass me a water bottle that was behind him.

I twisted the cap off her bottle and patted her, asking her to sit up. Ashton helped her, his hand still on her back. She lifted her head and got her balance. Her eyes still shut, she reached in the air for her water, which I placed into her fingers. She takes a swing of water before swallowing.

"Dani, you alright girl?" Crystal asked. Everyone was now looking very concerned for her. I was kinda concerned to be honest. I haven't seen her look like this before.

"That one went down harder than it needed to," she informed us all. Ohhh, now I know what she meant. I remember when we were were actually talking and liking each other, she told me she doesn't drink a whole lot and doesn't go to bars or clubs often. She will only go for special occasions. But, she doesn't drink a lot because if she's shotgunning these down as no chasers one after another, she sometimes doesn't get enough time to digest the last one before the one she takes the next, which causes a severe burning sensation in her throat, moving slowly down to her chest, before falling to her stomach. I've never seen it happen before though, so I know this was killing her right now.

"Is your chest burning?" I asked her. She nodded before rubbing her stomach with her other hand. "Stomach too?" I asked.

She looked very uneasy as she nodded. She took another small sip, lifted her head, and swallowed, allowing the coolness of the water to sooth her throat and her chest. But she still didn't look good.

"Crys, take her to the bathroom," Michael said, giving Crystal and small nudge at the hip.

"I'll walk with them," Calum offered. Crystal grabbed Dani and wrapped her arm around Dani's waist. Calum followed behind them, hands on both of their shoulders as they headed towards the toilets in the back of the bar.

"That was odd," Mikey said.

"She gets that often after drinking consecutively," I told them, trying to be louder than the music.

"Funny you even knew that," Ashton shouted back.

"Funny you still remembered," Michael added. I rolled my eyes. "Is that why she doesn't like going out and drinking like this?" He asked, but looked at both Ashton and I.