Chapter 6: Rejection

In a café, Sook wore sunglasses and drank a coffee that Chan had brought him. “Why would you let me drink that much?”

“Have you met you? Its like trying to stop a moth from going to the light.” Sook pulled down his sunglasses to glare at his cousin, but put them back up just as fast due to the blinding light. “Besides, you looked like you had a lot of fun.”

Sook just smiled cheesily, sipping on the coffee. “Wishes really do come true.”

Chan laughed as he sat down. “Sure, sure.” As he got comfortable, he recognized someone outside. “Oh.” It was Roon, with a girl hanging on his arm, seemingly happy. “Isn't that him?”

“Who?” Sook turned to look and found Roon immediately. He was walking into the café with the girl.

“Who’s that with him?” Chan asked innocently, but regretted it as soon as he saw Sook's face drop.

“That’s…”

“Babe, I want that one!” The girl giggled and held on tightly to Roon's arm.

“Alright. Anything you want.”

“…his ex girlfriend…Key…”

Chan observed the couple, while his cousin was in shock. “Sook, we can le—”

When he looked back, his cousin was gathering his things. He was on the verge of tears under his sunglasses. Sook placed his laptop back into his bag and started walking off, but not before Key bumped into him.

“Oh! Sook! I’m so sorry.”

Sook just kept his head down, smiling weakly. “It’s okay.”

Chan followed his cousin, glaring venomously at the one who broke his cousin's heart. As he passed their classmate he kept eye contact until he was fully facing away and going out the door. 

Once outside, Sook could breath. He felt like he had died and come back to life. “I think I’m going to go to my dorm.”

“Just go to mine. I’ll go get some snacks and meet you there.”

“Okay…” Sook was sniffling already, so Chan wanted to make him feel better with some sweets and a movie marathon. He gave his cousin his key and made his way down the street to the nearest convenience store.

He grabbed Sook's favorite items, then his own. With his hands full, he rounded the corner and ran into someone, causing him to drop everything. “I’m so sorry!” He bent down to pick up all of the bagged things.

The other guy bent down to help, too, and Chan noticed the knuckle rings. When he looked up, he was pleasantly surprised. Without saying a word, Sinn handed him the things he had picked up.

“Thank you.”

Sinn began walking away, but his junior reached out to hold his arm.
“Wait!”

Sinn winced in pain, because Chan's hand landed on his new bruise. He hissed through his teeth, scowling at the boy.

Chan retracted his hand quickly, realizing how rash he had acted. “I'm sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

“Are you that desperate?”

Sinn's words surprised him. “What?”

“Are you that desperate to be my friend?” Chan stared at Sinn. He didn’t know what to say. He wanted to be friends with Sinn, but he didn’t realize that he seemed desperate. “Let me tell you this one time; we can’t be friends.”

It only made Chan smile, which confused Sinn. “Sure. Whatever you say.”

“Are you being sarcastic with me?”

“Maybe.”

“Leave me alone. You’re annoying me.” Sinn began to walk away, ready to leave the store.

“I'll see you in class!” Chan knew Sinn heard him, because he glared at the boy before he disappeared from his sight. “You’re a tough one to crack, P'Sinn.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That following Monday, like clockwork, Chan spotted Sinn in front of their class. “P’Sinn!” The senior was just making sure Dee got to class. He heard his name, but ignored it completely.

Chan wasn’t angry, but he was irritated by Sinn. He wanted to be liked by the senior, because everyone usually loved him. So why not Sinn? What was so wrong with him that made the elder so rude? It was like a challenge that he needed to win. *I’ll get to you eventually.*

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

At lunch, Chan and Sook had lunch together, but were joined by Dee. He sat in front of Sook, looking like he didn’t get much sleep over the weekend.

“You look like death.” Dee gave Chan a pouty face for his comment before pushing his food around. “Hope you’re ready for football practice.”

“Oi, Chan, you’re too confident that I won’t whoop you.” Dee grinned, challenging his teammate.

Chan nodded. “I was the best player back home. Famous in town for it.”

Sook scoffed, “Show off.”

“Hey, I deserve it, I worked hard. Look at these legs!” Chan was showing off when a certain someone stopped by their table.

Sinn stopped at Dee, handing him an energy drink. “Drink up. Stay awake for your afternoon classes.”

“Thanks!” Dee took the drink and chugged it like his life depended on it, then burped when he was done. “I’ll need all the energy I can get for practice today.”

“I’ll see you after practice.” With that, Sinn was off.

*Not so fast.*

Chan left his plate and followed his senior down the corridor. “Wait!” Sinn kept walking, trying his hardest to ignore the black haired boy, but Chan had already caught up. “P’Sinn, come have lunch with us.”

“I already ate.” Sinn kept his eyes forward as he walked. The less interaction, the more people left him alone.

“Then let me join you. Let me get my things and we can walk to class together.”

Sinn stopped in his tracks, turning to his junior whose face was now smashing into Sinn's chest. Chan backed off quickly, not wanting to irritate Sinn even more. “Why do you cling to me?”

He let his junior think before answering, hoping that the boy would be silent. Chan thought, then smiled at the thought of Sinn. He clung to his senior because he felt a pull towards him in which he couldn’t explain.

“I like people like you.”

Whatever Sinn expected Chan to say, it wasn’t that. It stunned him. “What?”

Chan had thought about it before, maybe more than he expected, but he was being honest. “I think you’re a good person, despite what you say to me.”

Sinn was speechless. People usually would keep their distance after being ignored and insulted.

“I’ll see you in class.” With that, Chan went back to eat lunch while Sinn was left in his thoughts.

How could this kid be so stubborn? The only other person who did that was Han, but Chan was different. Han had an ugly heart, and Chan was like a bright, blooming sunflower. It frustrated Sinn. How someone could be so inconsiderate to his warnings? He wished to be left alone.