Chapter 17: Back Together Again

Chan arrived at his aunt and uncle's restaurant on Sunday, ready to help out as he always did in his free time.

“Chan, you get taller each time I see you. What is college feeding kids these days?” His uncle Korn joked with him as he walked through the door.

“Pho, if it’s in the food then why am I shorter than him?” Sook replied to his dad, recognizing their height difference.

“Oh my boy, if only your Mae married someone taller. You're stuck with my genes.”

“Dear, please, you would’ve had me at any height.” Sook's mom, Lin, gave his dad a sweet smile and came from the counter to gave Chan a big squeeze. “Go help Sook make the sign for the day.”

“Yes Auntie.” He grabbed markers while Sook brought the metal sign.

“What’s that face for?” Sook asked while he set up the sign.

“What face? This is the face I’ve had my whole life.”

“I know that look in your eyes. You have a secret to tell.” He took a marker from Chan and started writing the daily special.

“Oh…I kissed P'Sinn…” Sook's letter went haywire on the board, messing up the word as he turned to look up at his cousin. “Oi, Sook! What are you doing? You messed that up.”

“Are you serious?” He stood up to face Chan. “How can you say it so casually? Tell me everything!”

“Oh…” Chan blushed when he thought about it. His smile was mischievous, thinking of how Sinn pushed him against the wall. “He was sick, so Dee asked me to take care of him in his place. He made the first move. I’m still as shocked as you are.” Chan thought how it was a miracle he didn’t get sick, but he wouldn’t care even if he did.

“And you’re telling me this now? How come you didn’t text me right after?” Sook bent down and fixed the word he messed up.

“Oh, I had dinner with him and his mother after. By the time I left it was late.”

Sook turned back to Chan, shocked again. “His mother?!”

“She loves me,” Chan bragged.

Sook smiled and shook his head at the smug look on Chan's face. “Good for you. I’m glad things are working out for you.”

“Now it’s your turn. Tell me what’s the latest update with Dee?”

Sook finished with the board and stood up, sulking a little bit. “I don’t think it’ll work out. But he’s a good friend.”

“Why not? Did anything happen?”

“No I just—”

“Sook!” Both of the boys turned to find Dee. He wasn’t alone though. A girl hung on his arm, with sunglasses and her head held high.

Chan turned to his cousin, trying to find any emotions on Sook's face. Trying to see if he was getting his heart broken again. “What’s this?”

Sook just looked ahead, watching Dee and the girl get closer. “Chan, let it go.” He knew Chan was protective and would say something if he felt the need to. “We're friends. I told him about the restaurant. There’s nothing more to it.”

But there was more. Inside, Sook was trying to shield his heart as best he could. He didn’t think it could take another hit. Instead, if he kept his hopes down, he wouldn’t be disappointed so much. It worked to an extent. He still had strong feelings for Dee, different than any other guy.

Dee finally reached them, and Chan was not liking the look on the girl’s face. She was obviously repulsed. “What brings you by?” Sook ignored her expressions and tried making small talk.

“I had to come by and try the Khao Soi you told me about.” Dee was excited to try it, while his guest wasn’t amused by the quaint little restaurant.

“You made it before the lunch rush. Come on in, I’ll seat you.” Sook led the couple in while Chan followed, then fixed utensils while Sook got the drinks.

“Sook, this is Raya. Raya, this is my friend Sook.” Dee was trying really hard to start a conversation, but Raya wasn’t having it.

She smiled in a thin line, and didn’t take off her sunglasses inside so it was difficult to read her expression. “Sawasdeekrub.” Her half-ass wai was very telling.

“Sawasdeekra. Its so nice to meet you.” Sook tried to be as polite as possible while getting uncomfortable with Raya. “Will you both be having the khao soi?”

“Y—”

“No. I need more time to think about it,” Raya interrupted.

“Okay. I’ll be back, then.” Sook smiled at them once more and made his way to Chan. Just standing next to his cousin made him more comfortable.

“What’s her problem?” Chan couldn’t hide his facial expressions, and showed obvious distaste for Raya.

“I think you know…” Sook knew all too well the difference between them and the couple at the table. He had always kept his distance from the “elite” classmates from a young age. He made himself invisible in grade school so that he wouldn’t get bullied like the others.

Dee was always different in that way, though. He was always the one who ventured from his crowd and would befriend others like Sook. That’s how Dee met Roon, and they spoke to Sook often at school and became friendly with him.

Sook began to wonder why he never liked Dee. Why did he like Roon first? Maybe it was because in reality, he never thought he would have a chance with Dee. Not in a million years would he get the most popular guy in school.

That reality had followed him to college, and it was laid out right in front of him as he watched Dee and Raya. They were from a different world. Dee only thought of him as a friend, and it would never go any further. Sook just had to face that.

At the table, Raya was throwing a fit. “Dee, why would you bring me here? I thought you said you would take me to a good restaurant.”

“It is good! Without good food, it can’t be a good restaurant.”

She looked at the food choices in disgust. “I thought you would take me to that restaurant on the water that I love.”

“Raya, those meals aren’t filling. They give you a portion that’s the size of a golf ball.”

“But this is…” She looked around, still wearing her glasses to hide what her eyes were saying. “…filthy…”

“Raya…” Dee couldn’t believe he was friends with someone so rude. “...aren’t you being too much right now?”

“Too much? I don’t think it’s too much to take me somewhere decent.”

Right at lunch, people began pouring in, filling up the small restaurant. It didn’t phase Dee, though, as he was already upset with Raya. “No. I think you’re the indecent one.”

“Dee…are you serious?”

“Yes. If you don’t like it you can leave. I’d rather have a meal by myself.”

With that she was off in a hurry, trying to avoid the casual people who were coming in to eat. Chan rushed over to greet customers while Sook went back to Dee. “Is everything okay?”

Dee was irritated, but smiled once he looked up at Sook. “Yes. Everything is okay now.”

Chan and Sook hustled throughout the hour as the lunch rush came and went. They were so busy they didn’t realize Dee was talking it up with Sook's parents at his table. Once the customers started slowing down, the boys joined them.

“Sook, how come you didn’t bring your friend over sooner?” Lin was gushing over Dee.

“It’s okay, I’m here now,” Dee reassured her. “I'm busy with football or family most days but Sook still finds time to spend with me.” Sook's heart skipped a beat. He found the time for Dee because he was a good person, and because he liked Dee. Otherwise he would be stuck in his dorm or at the restaurant.

“Speaking of football, Chan, are you going on the trip? Dee mentioned it just now.”

“Yes, it’s next weekend.”

“Sook can come with us, too, if he wants?” Dee looked at Sook when he asked that, giving the boy no room to make any facial expressions. His heart was doing summersaults.

“Really?” Lin was just as excited as Sook was.

“Yea! I would room with you but Sinn doesn’t like many people so I’ll have to stay with him.”

“I can room with Sinn then,” Chan offered.

“Really? That’d be great! Right Sinn?” They all looked behind them at the front door, where Dee was looking, and Sinn was standing.

Their senior was in shock. Dee told him to meet him at that restaurant, but never said who would be there. He walked over to the table, regardless, not knowing what they were talking about.

“Feel better?” Chan placed the back of his hand on Sinn's forehead to check his temperature. Sinn didn’t swat the boy away, only because there were too many people around.

“Mmm…”  Sinn nodded slightly, It was enough to please Chan. He smiled at his senior, replaying their kisses in his mind. He was simply happy that they could be back together again.