Chapter 7: Nong Chan

Chan sat next to his senior in class, like always. Sinn had been there since lunch, sleeping while the classroom filled with students. He rested his head in his arms on the desk.

The teacher walked in, so Chan rested his head in his arms, too. With his face next to the back of Sinn's head, he whispered, “P’Sinn…”

His senior didn’t pop up, only moved his head to face Chan, still asleep. The boy was impressed. It was the first time Sinn's face wasn’t angry or annoyed with him. He didn’t seem so broody, but looked so peaceful. Chan was quickly lost in Sinn's features.

“Please pass up the assignments I asked for over the weekend!”

With the teacher’s voice, Sinn opened his eyes to find them staring into Chan's. For a second, he allowed himself to look. The boy's soft eyes were smiling at him. The sight wasn’t so bad. What was he so afraid of?

He sat up, frustrated by himself. *What's wrong with me?*

For the entire rest of the class he was unfocused, which was rare. He only snapped out of it when the teacher dismissed the class by talking about a project.

“It'll be due in two weeks. Please partner up amongst yourselves, but let me know if you can’t find a partner.”

Everyone was grabbing their things when Sinn was already out the door. He was already down the hall, when what he expected was in motion.

“P’Sinn!” The boy caught up to him in no time. “Want to be my partner?”

“No.” Sinn kept walking, avoiding eye contact after his bizarre experience in class.

Chan walked beside his senior, eager to work together. “Come on, you need one, I need one, it’ll be easy for us to meet outside of school.”

“Ai'Sinn!” A voice made them both turn around to find Han. “Do you want to be my partner?”

This was the worst possible scenario Sinn could imagine. Both of the annoying ones cornering him into making a decision. He had to pick the lesser of two evils. “I already have one.”

“Who?”

Sinn quickly grabbed Chan's arm and pulled him close, startling the boy. “Nong Chan.”

“Ah, I see. Maybe next time then?” Han walked past them, making sure to place his hand on Sinn's shoulder and let it linger seductively while walking away.

“Oi, P'Sinn, make up your mind!” Sinn turned back to the boy, letting go of his arm swiftly and pushing him away. He rolled his eyes and began down the hall again, but Chan followed closely. “Are you my partner or not?”

Chan was grinning and waiting for an answer. While it irked Sinn, he had no other choice. “Come to my apartment after football practice.” The boy stopped in his tracks, surprised and excited as he watched the senior walk away.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

During football practice, Sinn sat in the stands while waiting for Dee. He made a schedule where he would take him to get food, then send him back to his dorm. This time, he decided to sit in on the practice and make sure Dee wouldn’t get exhausted.

Typically, Sinn would read, or play a game on his phone while waiting in his car, but not that day. That day, since he was at the practice, something—or someone—caught his eye.

Chan brought up the bottom of his shirt to wipe the sweat on his brow, flashing his naval up to his chest. The sight made Sinn hold his breath. A rush of excitement hit him for the first time in a long time.

Chan finished up with the team, being dismissed by their coach. He realized Sinn was in the stands and ran over to meet him. The senior was leaning back with his arms crossed, his head tilted slightly to the right and an eyebrow raised at him. The boy wondered where that look came from, as he hadn’t seen it before. It was intimidating and made him gulp before reaching the sidelines.

“I just have to wash up and I’ll be over afterwards.” Chan smiled, failing to cover up the fact that he was smitten with Sinn.

“Take your time. I have to get him food.” Sinn motioned to his brother, who was panting as he walked up to them.

“P’, can I go over, too? I’ll be bored by myself.” Dee pouted his lips and Chan copied, trying to help him out.

Sinn kept his eyebrow raised at his juniors, amused that the boys tried to play him. “You’ll be even more bored with us. We have a project to do.”

“Oh!” Dee saw Sook in the distance and pointed over to him. “Sook can come, too, so I’ll have company.”

“Huh?” Sook only heard his name, not the scheme Dee had cooked up to get off campus.

“Come with us to P'Sinn's,” Dee insisted.

“Is it just us four?” Sook looked around for Roon, hoping that he wouldn’t be joining them.

“Yea, Roon is too busy to hang out with me now that he has a girlfriend.”

Sook looked at the ground, trying not to think about it, but he had seen Roon and his girlfriend everywhere that day. All he wanted was to get away from them, so he was going to see if Chan wanted to hang out. Anywhere was better than the dorms.

“Fine. You two wash up and we’ll get food first.” Dee and Chan obeyed and rushed to get showered.

“Hey, is Sook okay?” Dee looked back at Chan's cousin, who looked unlike his usual, cheerful self.

“What do you mean?” Chan didn’t want to bring anything up. He didn’t know if Sook wanted to keep everything a secret.

“We all know he’s liked Roon forever. I didn’t think he’d be that depressed at Roon getting a girlfriend.”

“You knew?” Chan was shocked. His cousin was the one in the dark when he didn’t have to be.

“Yea, we go way back. I’d be blind if I didn’t notice.”

“Roon kissed Sook the night of the party. The next morning we saw him with his girlfriend.”

“What? When? How come I wasn’t there for that?” Chan smacked his arm with his hand, afraid Dee was being too loud in front of their teammates.

“Shhh! It happened right before we left. The bottle landed on you, but you blacked out and Roon took your place when no one was around.” Chan was disappointed in Roon. He didn’t have to kiss Sook. That was purely out of desire. Then he went and played Sook? Not on his watch. “I'd like to have a talk with Roon.”

“Shia…” Dee didn’t know any of the details as neither Roon or Sook told him. He wondered what would’ve happened if he didn’t black out? Would that have saved Sook's broken heart?