Chapter 16

Two more weeks had flown by, today marked the start of Christmas break. I was partially relieved at the pause, like the eye in the middle of a hurricane, but I was also anxiously awaiting news from my parents.

So far I had heard nothing regarding if I would be coming home for yet another terrible Christmas with the Carrows, or if they were busy and I'd be spared, staying at Hogwarts.

" Isla! Still haven't heard anything?" Mae approached me, trunk in tow as I sat at the Gryffindor table. She leaned her elbows to rest on the table as we talked.

" Nothing. It's not terribly unusual for things to be a secret till the last minute in my family, but it can be rather infuriating." I huffed to which she nodded in understanding.

" Remember you're always welcome at mine!" She reassured to which I smiled and thanked her. A hoot sounded through the Great Hall as we looked up to see an owl swooping down. It dropped a letter in front of me.

Relieved I tore open the letter now that it was finally here. Reading it my face soured as Mae noticed and hopped over the table so she could read over my shoulder. Once we both finished she spoke up.

" Wow, they're off to Portugal and are just leaving you here. Don't they know how much you love traveling?" Mae asked looking at me.

" No they do, guess they just wanted to go alone this year. Portugal's one of the few countries that's a neutral power in the muggle war right now, so I suppose it has the least worries." I explained with a sigh.

Although I'd rather be alone here then spending my time with the whole family.

" The offer still remains?" Mae put it back out there. I smiled but didn't accept her offer, thinking some time alone could clear my conscious and help me recharge in a way.

I bid her and my friends goodbyes as they all joined together and headed out to the train. Raidon was amongst them, his goodbye was quick and almost forced. I sighed with a heavy heart, hoping he could move on over the holidays.

I lingered in the doorway, watching the crowd flood in, and the train depart car by car until it was out of view completely.

" Stuck here this year?" I jumped at the sudden voice from behind me. I turned on the snow covered steps to see who other than Tom Riddle. I sighed before grabbing his right arm with both hands and began to walk back in. He glanced down in surprise but remained quiet.

" Parents left for an exotic couples vacation in Portugal, leaving me here. On the upside I don't have to attend family dinner with the Carrows this year, thank Godric." I waved a hand in the air as I gestured, before bringing my hands back to my sides.

I was about to ask why he was still here, but decided against it. He had his reasons, and seeing as how guarded he generally was, I doubt he'd tell me anyway.

" You know what? I'm going to go get some tea." I spoke suddenly. A nice cup of tea sounded perfect right now to combat the cold weather. Without taking his opinion into consideration, I walked past the Great Hall and towards the basement door.

I walked down the spiral stairs, smiling lightly as I heard his steps catch up to mine until he was just behind me.

" What kind?" He inquired as we finished winding down the stairs.

" Earl Grey of course." I responded as I walked past the Hufflepuff common room entrance and to the portrait of the fruit bowl. I reached my finger out and tickled the pear, allowing us entry.

" I suppose I'll have to join you." And with that we walked into the kitchens. Spotting Hazel I smiled as I walked over to her.

" Hi Hazel! I was wondering if we could use the kitchen to brew up some tea, since we have no need to catch the train this year." I ended with a chuckle. She smiled and nodded.