Chapter 29: Axolotl Playtime

alright so i will probably break your hearts more than once once we start with the 30-something chapters so here we have some wholesomeness before the great dissaster

Also y'all have been begging for Patton, so lucky for y'all, theres some Patton here

Enjoy

"You have to relax, Logan. It's not that hard, you'll be fine," Janus insisted, "Although it still surprises me that you've been a vampire for two and a half months and still haven't at least attempted this, not even once"

The two men were in Janus's car, nearing to their destination, that being Janus's house. The rest of the vampires had recently found out that Logan had never attempted to shapeshift, and, as it turned out, this was a big deal. They (mostly Janus) managed to convince Logan to try it out. Due to Logan's wariness, Janus had decided to pick the younger vampire after work and bring him to the mansion so that they could have proper lessons.

This plan didn't exactly thrill Logan. Yes, being able to transform into different animals did sound like something fun in theory, but he'd read enough fiction novels to know that this'll end badly. What if it was painful? So painful that he passed out? What if he couldn't turn back and got stuck as a bat for days? Not being able to communicate with the others? What if he ended up as some weird hybrid, a human with wings or a bat with a human head? What if his brain got damaged in some strange way and he couldn't communicate anymore?

According to Janus, this was all just paranoia. Perhaps he was correct, but the feeling of anxiety still rested inside Logan, making him wonder if it was actually necessary to learn how to do this. Janus insisted that it was.

"How can you be so sure it will be ok? Like- isn't there any risks of anything going wrong?" Logan asked.

"Well, if you're like me, then there's nothing to worry about," Janus answered, "But if you're normal, there may be some risk. Don't worry, we're starting with bat first, so it'll be minimal"

"Wait, what's that supposed to mean?"

"You know how Virgil has this natural ability to hypnotize people, he can do it with barely putting any effort to it?"

"Yes. Talking of, I haven't tried that one either."

"One problem at a time. You see, vampires tend to, but not always, have these little talents regarding our abilities, things we naturally excel at. In my case, it's shapeshifting. I'm able to shapeshift into any animal without even trying. I would show you, but snakes can't really drive a car."

"Neither can you, apparently. You're using the wrong lane," Logan pointed out. Janus proceeded to fix the course of the car, "How are you even allowed to drive?"

"Got my license around seventy years ago, haven't renewed it in forty or so years. I'm not sure if what we're doing right now is even legal"

"You're a hazard to society"

"Oh la la, what a surprise! Is it because I'm a blood-sucking monster and former mafia boss?"

"No, it's because you're driving a 70-year-old car, you haven't gotten your license renewed in 40 years, you're blind of one eye which makes it even harder to see and its nighttime, so the visibility is even worse. I'm surprise you haven't gotten yourself killed"

"Fair enough," Janus shrugged, "The good thing is that after 200 years, I'm still running about, so the chances of me dying now are small. Besides, we're already here"

And they were. The vampires got out of the car after Janus parked and went towards the house.

"What do you even use shapeshifting for anyways?" Logan asked as Janus held Patton up (who had ran to the door and climbed him up to say hi)