-𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑-

AGAIN | 04

_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶

"THE WORLD OWES the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us... protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes... there are some... who would prefer the word "vigilantes."" The Secretary of State stated, everyone in the room listening intently with you trying not to roll your eyes at the man's words.

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Thana asked calmly, ignoring the man's previous statement. 

"How about "dangerous"?" He retorted without missing a beat, earning himself glares from both you and Nex.

"Ross..." You started to protest, trying to hold back your annoyance. 

Ross was quiet for a few seconds before continuing again, looking directly at you, "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals... who routinely ignore sovereign borders... and inflict their will whenever they choose... and who frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He questioned as he raised his eyebrows at you.

You remained silent for a few seconds, choosing to let Ross' question remain unanswered rather than give him a verbal answer. Ross stepped aside after you failed to respond for the others to see the screen. It was the footage of the casualties of the attack in New York, Washington D.C, Sokovia and Lagos.

You saw Wanda looked away in sadness as she recognized the images of those killed during the attack. You squeezed her hand comfortingly, wanting nothing more then to comfort her, which seemed to work as she relaxed marginally. 

"I think we've heard quite enough. Thank you for your time Ross. If there is nothing else..?" You paused before adding, "I'm sure you want to be leaving now." Glaring slightly at the Secretary, making him stand up straighter.

 "No, Y/n, I believe I still need to speak with the team." Ross gave you an icy glance before continuing in a cold tone. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power... and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

"The Sokovia Accords." Handing over the paper containing the agreement between 117 countries. "Stating that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead... they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel... only when and if that panel deems it necessary." he explained, walking around the room.

You stared at the document in front of you, reading over the text one last time before placing the papers on the table in front of you, your expression unreadable as you stared down at them. You finally looked up at the Secretary.

"This is just another tool for the United Nations to control us. A puppet for a dictator." You commented quietly, meeting the Secretary's stare head on. Nex and Thana exchanged glances with each other, knowing the reason why you'd reacted like that.

"Y/n..." Steve muttered from the side, trying to warn you. 

"What?" You replied harshly, turning around in your chair to glare daggers at the soldier.

"Don't." Steve warned you again. 

You glared at him before turning back to Ross, "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Wanda placed a comforting hand on your arm, trying to calm you down.