-𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎-

AGAIN | 02

_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶_̶

NATASHA'S steps are purposeful as she walks through the halls of the Avengers' compound. Her heart is heavy with the weight of their recent losses, and the need to do something to help quell the pain is stronger than ever. She pushes open the door to a familiar room, once filled with life and laughter.

The room that used to belong to Y/n.

As she steps inside, her gaze sweeps over the space, taking in the memories that linger in every corner. The room is a bittersweet reminder of the woman that she failed. And it hurts. It's a deep wound that will forever bleed.

And then, in the corner of the room, she spots Wanda. The young woman sits on the edge of the bed, her gaze fixed on a photograph of you and her, smiles lighting up your faces. She doesn't notice Natasha's entrance, too caught up in reliving her memories. In the midst of all her sadness and grief, Y/n's smile is a constant beacon of light, guiding the way forward.  

The image is a snapshot of happier times, the kind of moments which were both precious and fleeting. The one thing that could never be taken away. A tear glistens on Wanda's cheek as she stares at the photo, the tears falling without a single pause.

And it breaks Natasha Romanoff's heart to see Wanda in such a vulnerable state. Because the young woman had been through enough already in her lifetime. She should never have had to go through yet another tragedy in her life. 

And yet...

"I thought I might find you here...." She takes a hesitant step toward her former friend, the word catching in her throat. 

Wanda does not lift her eyes, her shoulders tensing slightly. "Go away." Her response is curt and sharp, lacking the usual affection and warmth Wanda's given off.

"No." Natasha maintains her steady, confident stride, her gaze unwavering despite the rejection. "You shouldn't be alone." She wants to reach out, to give Wanda a hug, to comfort her, to reassure her that she's not alone. That everything will turn out alright.

She doesn't move though.

Wanda turns and gives Natasha an irritated glare, the resentment evident in her voice as she says, "It isn't your business, Romanoff."

"Yes," answers Natasha. The firmness of her tone conveys no disagreement, "it is my business."

"What part is it?" Wanda scoffs. "Your job? Your obligation? Your duty? Or is it your oh-so-personal feelings for her?" With each accusation, her voice increases in intensity, until it becomes a harsh shout. "Or maybe it's the fact you're still holding onto the relationship that didn't work out with Y/n!?"

Wanda stands, her hands gesturing wildly, unable to hide her agitation. "Why are you here, really?" She takes a step closer and continues, "To offer your condolences? To remind me of what I've lost? To tell me that time heals all wounds?" Her eyes are filled with a mixture of anger and pain, her grief evident. "Well guess what? Time doesn't heal. Nothing does! Y/n was my best friend; the love of my life. Y/n gave everything to me; he loved me. He was supposed to stay with me. Not leave. And now he's gone!" Tears begin to fall down her face, unstoppable and unrelenting.

Natasha absorbs Wanda's words, her own heart aching with the intensity of the pain that radiates from the younger woman. She doesn't interrupt, allowing Wanda to pour out her feelings without interference. The accusations, the anger, the raw grief—Natasha takes it all in.