A Moment

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes" Gandalf stated the next morning as we stood in the hall of Edoras, watching as the King paced before us, "a fool but an honest fool he remains, he told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the ring".

Gimli and I let out a sign of relief as I moved my hand down and intertwined it with the rangers, giving it a light squeeze "we've been strangely fortunate, Pippin saw in the Palantíri a glimpse of the enemy's plan, Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith".

I felt Aragorn squeeze my hand gently at the mention of the city.

"His defeat at Helms deep showed our enemy one thing, he knows the heir of Elendil has come forth" this time I gently squeezed Aragorn's hand "it is also clear that he is prepared to do whatever it take to end the line of Isildur" Gandalf turned to me "last night my suspicions were proven true, it seems that Sauron is going to try to use you to do his dirty work and once you have done it, I have no doubt that he will kill you, as you're his biggest threat if you choose to fight him unless Morgoth stops him".

"I can fight him" I said quickly, sneaking a peak at Aragorn before looking back to Gandalf "not whilst Frodo has the ring".

"Men are not as weak as he supposed, there is courage still, strength enough, perhaps to challenge him, Sauron fears this, he will not risk the people of Middle earth uniting under one banner, he will raise Minas Tirith to the ground before he see's a King" he turned to me "and a possible Queen, return to the throne of men" I felt myself blush at his words, Aragorn slightly stiffened as he squeezed my hand even tighter.

He had come to terms with his destiny and had chosen to take rule over Gondor, he has accepted that he will be King.

"If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war".

"Tell me" Théoden said calmly as he looked to Gandalf, his arms crossed over his chest as though he was unimpressed "why should we ride to the aid of those who did not to ours? What do we owe Gondor?"

Rage suppressed through my veins as I thought of Boromir, it felt like a lifetime ago that Aragorn promised to protect his city.

"We will go" I informed, looking over the people in the room, Aragorn nodded in agreement. 

"No!" Gandalf ordered.

"Yes!" I argued, feeling my body shake slightly "we promised Captain, a son of Gondor when he died that we would protect his city and it's people! I intend to fulfil that promise!"

"They must be warned!" Aragorn insisted making a small smile fall on Gandalf's lips. 

"They will be" Gandalf assured as Aragorn opened his mouth to argue. 

"You must come to Minas Tirith by another road" Gandalf whispered to us "follow the river and look to the black ships".

Aragorn and I shared a look as the wizard turned back to address the hall.

"Understand this things are no in motion that cannot be undone" he stated while turning to look at the hobbit who sat in a chair a small distance away "I ride for Minas Tirith and I won't be going alone". 

The hall dismantled and I found myself walking outside of the hall in time to see Aragorn bounding up the stairs after Merry.

Hurrying towards the watch tower, jumping up three steps at a time before I stood behind the hobbit and ranger, I moved silently, reaching out to place a hand on Merry's shoulder as the whiter rider and Pippin away grew to be only a speak in the sky, I bent down next to the hobbit and ran my hands up and down his arms causing a breath to leaves his leaves.

"He'll be alright won't he?" Merry questioned as a small tear ran down his face, sending him a small smile as I reach out to wipe the tears away and resting my chin on his shoulder.