2.8

I had found Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville and the twins. We went to the Great Hall where everyone was seated. The Staff stood at the front of the room. Dumbledore stood by the Goblet of Fire.

"Sit down please", Dumbledore said. "Now, before we begin, I'd like to announce that a fellow student has volunteered to be a judge in this Tournament. Don't ask why because I don't know".

I chuckled as I ate the blueberries in my bowl. My friends turned to me. "What?" I asked, pretending I didn't do anything.

"Now, the moment you've all been waiting for. The champion selection", Dumbledore said.

The lights dimmed, making the Goblet of Fire the only light in the room. The flames turned red. A piece of paper flew out of the flame. Dumbledore grabbed it.

"The Durmstrang champion is Viktor Krum".

All the Drumstrang students cheered. "Of course", I said. I chuckled lightly. "He's already a star. And I see Karkaroff prefers brawny over brainy".

Krum stands from his seat and shook Dumbledore's hand. Krum walked towards the front of the room. Another name spits out of the goblet of fire.

"The champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour".

The students of Beauxbatons cheered. Fleur stood up and walked towards Dumbledore. He shook her hand. Then, she walked towards the front of the room, joining Krum.

The final name came out of the Goblet of Fire. I closed the bowl of Blueberries and gave it to Hermione.

"The Hogwarts champion is Cedric Diggory".

The Hufflepuffs cheered. Cedric walked towards Dumbledore and shook his hand. He walked towards the front of the room.

"Well...no one from Gryffindor", I said. I looked at Harry. "At least you get a break this year". Harry nodded.

"Excellent! We now have our three champions. But in the end, only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory, the Triwizard Cup".

At the front of the room, a huge, glowing trophy was shown.

Everyone looked at the Goblet of Fire. The flames turned red and another name launched out.

A fourth competitor? How?

I used my enhanced hearing to listen to Dumbledore when he reads the parchment to himself.

"Harry Potter", Dumbledore said softly. I gasped. My friends, the ones who knew I was a werewolf, looked at me.

"What did he say?" Hermione whispered to me.

"Harry Potter", Dumbledore said more clearly. I looked at Harry.

I shook my head. "No", I said. Why did I have to open my damn mouth?

"Harry Potter!" Dumbledore shouted. I looked at Dumbledore. I never heard him sound so angry. I looked at Harry.

"Go on, Harry", Hermione said. Harry didn't move. "Harry, for goodness sake". Harry stands up. Hermione gently ushered him to walk. Finally, Harry walked towards Dumbledore.

Dumbledore gave Harry the piece of parchment, but he did not shake Harry's hand.

Harry walked towards the other champions.

--

I joined Harry and the other champions. "Everything is going to be fine", I assured Harry. "Just explain that you don't know how this happened. Tell them you didn't put your name in that cup".

"Will they believe me?" Harry asked.

"I think so, yes", I said. "Don't worry, I'll protect you".

I heard the door open. There were voices shouting over each other's.

Dumbledore looked pissed off. I stepped to the side. I did not want to step into a conversation where Dumbledore's wrath reigns.

"Harry! Harry!" Dumbledore shouted. The other Professors and Headmasters followed. "Harry! DID YA PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIYAH?!?!" (Dumbledore asked calmly)

Dumbledore grabbed Harry, practically strangling him. Then I realized I was supposed to protect Harry.

Oops.

"No, sir", Harry said with a panic.

"Did you ask one of the older students to do it for you?" Dumbledore growled.

"No sir".

"Are you absolutely sure?"

"Yes-Yes sir", Harry said.

"Well, of course, he's lying", Madame Maxime said.

"The hell he is. The Goblet of Fire is an exceptionally powerful object. Only an exceptionally powerful cofundus charm could have hoodwinked it. Magic way beyond the talents of a fourth year", Mad-eye said.

"You seemed to have given this a fair bit of thought, Mad-eye", Karkaroff said.

"It was once my job to think as Dark Wizards do, Karkaroff. Perhaps you remember", Mad-eye said.

I looked at Karkaroff. Was he a Death Eater? I mean, he does look like he's spent a few days in Azkaban.

"That doesn't help, Alastair", Dumbledore said, pushing past Mad-eye and Karkaroff. He walked towards Barty Crouch Senior.

"Is it possible that we could find someone else to take his place?" I asked. "Could we, maybe, engrave someone else's name onto the parchment?"

Dumbledore looked at me. I thought I had seen a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

Dumbledore looked at Barty Crouch Senior. "Leave this up to you, Barty", Dumbledore said.

"The rules are absolute", Barty Crouch said. "The Goblet of Fire constitutes a binding magical contract. Mr. Potter has no choice. He is, as of tonight, a Triwizard Champion".

The Professors all looked at Harry and I felt sick to my stomach.