Chapter 4: Pathetic Lies

POV: Snow

I end my phone call with my mother abruptly, not wanting to hear about her visit with an old friend of mine no matter how selfish that sounds. I still haven't entirely gotten over him and it hurts.

Everyone notices my change in expression as I come back out, dragging the little boy on my arm. I finally get him to leave me be as I sit myself back down on the couch, not paying attention to anyone or anything as Zach puts his arm around me. I feel my phone vibrate again though, pulling me from my thoughts. I remove the device from my pocket and notice that I have a text, but it's only from Charlie.

~

From: Charlie

What's wrong?

~

I let go of a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I look at him across the room and see the obvious concern and how he is failing horribly at hiding it. Charlie may be a creep, like when he tried to kiss me TWICE while I was dating Zach, his best friend, and when he talks about hell and god a lot or when he makes a move on me but he genuinely a good and caring guy when it comes to his friends.

I just really don't want to discuss what's going through my mind right now. I couldn't even begin to explain. I know that Harry is a sensitive subject and I don't want to tell anyone that he makes me this way. I know that it's not all of his fault either. I have some blame to take too.

Like, what do I say if I run into him?

I've been ignoring him, making things worse. He really tried and I just flat out ignored him. I still feel guilty for all of that and so much more. Harry was nothing, but sweet to me. He was there when no one else was. I'm that one that grew feelings and was being immature about the whole situation.

"Hey babe. My sister is here to get us. You sure you can't come?" Zach asks pulling me out of my spiraling thoughts. I knew that him and the boys were going to leave to see some movie that I honestly can't even remember the name of.

"I'd love to, but I'm babysitting. I'm just going to chill with these losers instead," I tell him with an honest smile. He frowns, but gives me a kiss any way as he gets up to leave. Soon enough, I'm giving both Carter and Charlie a hug too. Charlie insists that I text to him, but I just reassure him that I'm fine and usher them out of the door, surprised by who is out there already.

"Hi Snow," he says and my heart is still racing. It can't be him, can it? He comes inside as I receive skeptical looks from Zach. I shrug and close the door after waving goodbye.

"Uh hi Harry. What're you doing here?" I ask him and he rubs his hands together, keeping warm.

"I just thought that maybe we could talk or-" he begins, but is cut off by Madelyne.

"Harry? Is that you? It's been ages!" she says approaching the both of us. He's obviously taken off guard, but embraces her in a hug. Soon enough, Summer has joined us and he's hugged her too.

"I know and I'm sorry. I promise to start coming by more often," he tells her and my heart wrenches and twists. I hate promises.

"You better not be lying. I thought Snow was going to lose her mind out here," Summer laughs smirking at me and I just glare daggers at her. Is she really doing this?

"I think that I'm going to go and make us something to eat. Fettuccine alright?" Madelyne asks.

"That sounds lovely," Harry responds. I'm glad to see that his mannerisms haven't gone away.

"Come help me Summer," Madelyne says pulling her sister out of the room, leaving me alone with Harry. This is already really awkward. I go and sit down on the couch, followed by him as he sits across from me.

"How've you been?" I ask. I just want to start conversation so he'll feel content and leave. Since when did I ever get these kinds of thoughts about my best friend? That isn't right of me.

"I don't really know myself. I mean, I've been happy, but my best friend has been ignoring me for a few months. It isn't exactly the most brilliant feeling in the world," he tells me and I feel the blood that's rushing to my cheeks. I was really hoping he wouldn't do this.

"Awe man. That sucks," I try shrugging it off. I don't want to feel even more guilty.

"Massively. Maybe you could elaborate why?" he asks me and I sigh.

"Do we really have to do this tonight Harry?" I ask. He raises his eyebrows in surprise as I bring my knees to my front, resting my head on them.

"Yes. Is this because of Zach? Just because you found some new guy to have in your life, you just have to drop me. That kind of makes no sense Snow. I don't just want to be the one to pick you up when you're going through a heart break," he blows up, taking me by surprise.

"It's more like the other way around. Don't get pissy with me," I snap and he raises an eyebrow at me, testing me.

"Really? When have I ever abandoned you when I've gotten a girlfriend? Don't make me the bad guy in this," he warns and I know that he's angry. I didn't expect to see us fighting this soon. I don't know how to fix this because my lie is wearing thin. He can't know that I liked him and that's why we aren't friends anymore.

"I don't know! It's just, never mind. I have obvious abandonment issues and I just knew you'd leave too sooner or later, so I figured I'd just get it done and over with sooner," I tell him to keep my lie going.

"Is that really the reason why you've been avoiding me?" he asks me and I'm biting my lip again, nodding my head. I avoid his stare knowing that he's just going to get angry.

"Are you being serious?" he asks me moving a bit closer, causing me to just scoot farther away. I just nod again in response, not excited to hear his.

~~

A/N: This night will be continued. muahahahaha! Lol nah. He isn't punk Harry in this either, just normal dorky him that I adore. This chapter is also really short compared to the ones that are coming.

Alex xx