Chapter 39: Job

Chapter 39: Job

*POV: Harry*

I groan, rolling over at the sound of my phone ringing. I know that it’s time for me to wake up, but I haven’t gotten much sleep with all this rehearsing and we’re going on tour here soon. Jet lag is a bitch and I’m still trying to get in the time zones for now.

I pick up my phone, watching the way it lights up with her name. A picture of us from that damn amusement fair for her brother is showing. A smile comes to my face no matter how annoyed I am.

“Snow baby? Good morning,” I whisper, looking over at Niall who still is passed out.

“Harry?” I hear a muffled sob. Immediately I sit up, running my finger through my hair. The duvet falls off my torso, covering my lower half as my bare chest is exposed to the world.

“Who is this? Why do you have Snow’s phone?” I ask, freaking out a bit.

“This is Alee. We’re in the hospital Harry. There was so much blood and we don’t know what’s wrong and we thought it might’ve been a miscarriage and now we’re in the hospital and I don’t know what to do,” she cries out, no longer able to continue her sentence. Wait, Snow’s having a miscarriage?

“What’s going on?” I ask her confused.

“I don’t know and I’m freaking out,” Alee says and from the sounds of it she is biting her nails. She’s obviously nervous and I don’t know how to react.

“You have to keep me updated. Is she okay?” I ask.

“I don’t know. I don’t know anything. I can’t even see her right now,” Alee cries again.

“Call me back when you have something useful then,” I say softly, then hang up. I know that was brutal of me, but I needed a moment alone to process this information and she can’t give me anything useful.

Snow, my love, is in the hospital, again. She’s bleeding of some sorts. They think that she’s having a miscarriage. She might be losing the twins. I don’t know if I should feel loss or not because they might not even be mine. Of course I’m going to feel loss though, who am I kidding? I’ve already grown on to the idea that those children were going to be raised as my own even if they weren’t. I can’t even imagine how Snow would deal with the loss.

I get up and start pacing around the bedroom, not being able to stand still. I look at the phone, waiting for it to ring again although I would understand if it didn’t. It’s just a lot to deal with, the fact that I might not be able to raise these babies. The fact that we would have to rush and find names for them to properly mourn. I would hate not being able to play dress-up with my daughter if one of them was a female or take my son out to play baseball if one of them was a boy. I couldn’t see their first steps and I just feel like everything is being ripped away from me.

And all we can seem to talk about is sex. She’s got a boyfriend anyway, the familiar tune of my ringtone rings. I really need to change it, but that’s how I felt when she was dating Zach and the 1975 is such a good band.

Hurrying, I pick up my phone and press the accept button seeing that it is Snow or Alee on Snow’s phone again.

“Hello?” I ask frantically.

“Harry?” I hear a stuffed voice.

“Snow baby? Are you okay? What happened? Are the babies okay? Is everything fine?” I ask, wanting to press more questions, but I don’t want to smother her.

“Yeah, we’re fine. The babies and I are doing fine,” she wants to cry out in joy. I can tell she’s probably so relieved. I know that I am. The weight that pressed down on me at the possible loss was too much to bare.

“What happened?” I ask her.

“I guess it was just that I was stressed out I was bleeding, something that isn’t very good. They did an ultrasound to make sure the babies are fine and yes, I’ll get a picture to put in your damn baby book,” she tells me. I almost smile at this, but I’m still kind of worried. What’s making her so stressed that she’s ending up in the hospital bleeding?

“Why’re you stressed?” I ask her.

“Just little things like the move, being pregnant, fighting with my mom and Madelyne, my job, the fact that you’re away, and I don’t want to go back to school and tutor with Mr. Green now that he knows. Who knows what he’ll do? I don’t like this. I miss when not very many people knew and I’m freaking out and Alee is starting to baby me and it’s too much adding up I suppose. The doctor wants me to stay on bed rest until next week which is okay I suppose, but I can’t miss classes. I really want to graduate although I probably won’t be with the other students,” she says a little too fast and she’s out of breath near the end.

“Wait, you have a job? I’ve only been gone for a week Snow. You know how I feel about that,” I whisper a bit sternly. I watch Niall fidget in his sleep, rolling around a bit.

“Yes I got a job. I’m not going to let you do everything Harry. I don’t even think that the fact that I got a job is what’s stressing me out. In fact, it’s a relief in a way,” she tells me.

“I don’t think you should be working in your condition Snow,” I say, trying to make her see how bad of an idea this is.

“They know my condition and are offering me a two month maternity release and then I can come back later on, plus Alee works with me there and she can help me with whatever I need. I’m not quitting Harry and that’s final,” she tells me. I’m damn near surprised at the way she stood up for herself. That’s one thing that I could admire about Snow though, whenever she wanted something she’d stick with it. She could go places with that talent even though it’ll probably land her in a lot of trouble, like it is now.

“I’ve got to go. The doctor wants to talk to me again. Bye,” Snow says before I can squeeze in another sentence. I know that she’s mad at me, but she should have seen this coming. I don’t want her working. She could cause serious damage to not only herself, but the babies also and that isn’t okay with me.

“Mate? You okay?” Niall yawns taking notice of my stressed out demeanor.

“Just dandy.”