Chapter 42: Alee

Chapter 42: Alee

Madelyne and I talked things through for the most part, both of us being equally as hateful though we couldn’t deny that we missed being friends. Eventually, we went to a nearby park and talked everything through officially. I guess you can say we’re friends again, but not everything is back to normal. I guess it’s a huge relief. I knew that she was part of the stress, but I didn’t know she was worth that much of it.

With that weight removed from my shoulders, I head down the stairs to go to the mailboxes. I know that we have mail and we haven’t checked it since we’ve been here. Once I reach them, I scan over them until I find ours, opening it and taking out some letters and newspapers before heading upstairs again.

“Whoa we sure have a lot of shit to go through,” Alee says with a bowl of cereal as I enter. She walks towards me, bowl in hand as she takes a bite before sitting down on a stool next to the one I sat on. I toss the mail down on to the counter, sighing.

“Yeah we do. I hate being grown-up,” I tell her.

“Same. That’s why we have alcohol to get through the days,” she jokes, but only I would know she’s being somewhat serious.

“You’re going to have a drinking problem here soon if you don’t slow it down,” I tell her, opening a letter that looks like it’s about rent.

“Who says I don’t have one now?” she tells me through a mouth full of cereal. I roll my eyes. Don’t get me wrong, I like drinking. Alcohol isn’t the tastiest shit it the world, but if you drink just enough and not too much you can have an amazing time. I just don’t think that Alee should be doing that nearly every day.

“That’s kind of really bad ya know?”

“Yeah, but can you blame me? You know my past,” she tells me as she opens a junk letter.

“And mine isn’t fucked up also?” I ask her. I can tell she contemplates this.

“Yeah, but you wanted to keep the babies so it’s not my fault that you can’t enjoy the buzz,” she tells me. I want to argue back, but I know that right now if I didn’t have these children, the long term effects of what happened to me would probably cause me to be drinking away my sorrows too.

“Ooh Snow. This letter is big and fancy,” she says excited, wiggling her eyebrows at me. I look at the envelope, purple ink written across it directing it to me. My heart speeds up at the sight, knowing that’s the college I applied to in the fall. I almost laugh at the fact that they used their school colors for ink. I slowly take the envelope from her, opening it to see a couple white pieces of paper folding together as one. I open the papers, reading the top to see my name, Weber State in the right hand corner along with the headmaster’s name. Slowly yet again, my eyes wander over the words written on the paper.  

Dear Snow Jackson,

Congratulations on your admission to Weber State University! For nearly 200 years, WSU has proudly welcomed new students, and we are excited for you to be part of this great tradition. As a member of the Class of 2015, you will join a dynamic student community in a place of endless opportunities. WSU offers an unparalleled setting for the next chapter of your life.

The competition for admission was particularly rigorous this year, as our freshman class of 2,350 was carefully chosen from nearly 22,000 applicants. We were impressed by your academic achievements and believe strongly in your potential for continued success. You are a remarkable individual, and we are confident that you will make a lasting contribution to WSU and to the world.

Our namesake envisioned a great university in the nation’s capital dedicated to preparing future leaders. WSU students uphold it’s legacy of intelligence, integrity and creativity as they pursue academic excellence. The opportunity to spend your college years in a vibrant city surrounded by exceptional people provides the foundation for an extraordinary life.