Chapter 26: The Unexpected

*POV: Snow*

“Holy cow, are you okay?” Gemma asks me. She called when the boys left as she said she would and I had to tell her everything. I was going to make something up, but I’ve never been the best liar and Gemma knows that. So I told her everything from me sleeping with her brother all the way up until the nightmares of now. She listened intently and I admit that it was a nice change to have someone to vent to, an outside perspective.

“Yeah. The bruises are barely visible now and Zach hasn’t shown up to school all month. Plus Harry has been taking care of me,” I explain to her, smiling a bit at the thought of her brother.

“Bruises? So he hit you too?” Gems asks me.

“Yeah. But it’s over with. I’m fine now,” I reassure her. She’s the second girl to know about my situation. Harry doesn’t know that I’ve told Madelyne. I should probably tell him soon, but I’ve just never found the right time to bring it up, ya know?

“How the hell did the lads just let you drop this? This isn’t some little situation. The damage is long term. You need to tell someone. We’re talking about the r word and domestic violence. That bastard is sick and can’t get away with this,” she tells me and I know she’s right, but I don’t want to admit that to anyone. Nobody needs to know. Besides the nightmares, my life is drama free and good. I admit that I’m a bit paranoid, but I’m not receiving sympathy looks or being called a whore behind my back.

“I can’t. I’m sorry. I have to go. I have class in like ten minutes,” I tell her. I’m surprised that we’ve been on the phone this long.

“We’ll talk about this again later. Call me when you’re out of school, yeah? Love you sweetie,” she tells me. Great. The sympathy from her is starting now too.

“Love you too,” I respond as I park my Jeep across the street at my dad’s. I then get out and rush across the street so I don’t get hit by a car. I make it there safely with my bag, phone and everything. I’m walking calmly when out nowhere I feel arms wrap around my waist. My first instinct is to scream, afraid that it may be Zach.

“Jesus Snow. Who knew you had such a pair of lungs? I just wanted to give you a hug, damn,” Carter says. My stomach twists in fear to relief, making me feel sick. It’s not Zach, just his best friends. It’s just dandy, right? Carter and Charlie scaring the hell out of me.

“Fuck you guys,” I reply simply as I make my way up the stairs to the front doors.

“What?” Charlie asks, confused. I can’t look at him, disgusted that I’m so paranoid. His best friend made me this way.

“Yo, have you seen Zach? I’ve been meaning to ask, but we’ve never found the time to,” Carter asks, not giving me the time to respond even if I wanted to.

“We’ve stopped by his place a few times, but he’s never home,” Charlie adds. Why are they even asking me? I don’t give a shit about where he is. He could go rot in hell for all I care.

“Why the fuck would I know? We broke up a month ago,” I tell them, hoping that they’ll leave me alone. Carter wraps his arms around me, muttering not sincere apologies. I don’t even care. I’m glad he’s out of my life.

I open the front doors and start walking towards my group of friends, nearly dropping dead at the sight in front of me. My heart rate picks up as I look at all of my friends and him. He’s the boy that’s missed a month of school. He’s the boy that I’ve been avoiding as much as I can. He’s the boy that’s ruined my life and I hate him.