14| Security

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Security

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 14: Security (Logan's POV)

Zarah sat there confused for several minutes before she sighed and dropped her head, resting her elbows on her knees and holding her head, raking her fingers through her hair. Inhaling deeply, she sat upright and leaned back, drawing my gaze to her leg as the dress she wore slipped to the side where the slit began, to reveal her skin. 

I forced a blink, bringing my gaze up to her face. 

"Let me get this straight. You asked him to investigate me?" she questioned while glancing at me pointedly. 

"Investigate your situation, Zarah. I was worried for you and needed someone whom I could trust to look after you when you wouldn't let me do it myself," Mr. Romano huffed out an explanation. 

She shook her head in ridicule. "When did you even meet him?" 

"I didn't. Logan called me last night when you had nowhere to go but to his apartment because you were being chased. I spoke to him over the phone and only shared my concerns to get his opinion." 

"And why would you need his opinion?" 

"Because he's a criminal lawyer who can help when I find out who's coming after you and burn them alive," her father replied sternly. 

"What makes you think someone's been following me for weeks? I was only chased last night," she replied, rolling her eyes. 

Her Dad hesitated and glanced at me before clearing his throat. "I had security tail you once in a while." 

"What?" she asked sharply. 

"I was worried about you!" 

"You sent security after me without telling me?!" 

"More than once and more than one guard spotted suspicious vehicles and people around you. It's a high possibility last night wasn't a one-off incident and someone has been coming after you." 

"Dad..." She groaned softly in frustration and dug the heels of her palms into her eyes, taking deep breaths. "If you really think someone's following me then who is it? Who could it possibly be? Who would want anything from me?" 

He reluctantly replied, "I'm not sure. I've tried to look into it but no particular names seem to come up. Which is why I called Logan here today." 

Her eyes locked with mine. 

"To officially start investigating this." 

"Why does it have to be him?" she asked, glaring at me. 

"Who did you go to when you needed help?" Mr. Romano responded pointedly. 

She most certainly didn't like that reply and threw her head back, staring at the ceiling. "Involving your favorite Mr. Markov in this won't be helpful," she grumbled without looking at us. "But now that you have, what do you plan to do?" Zarah looked down and lifted her brows at me. "Since my father is paying you to investigate me and find out who's following me, that is if someone really even is," she scoffed, "then what do you plan to do?"