t w e n t y t w o

hali ♡_______

hali
_______

I arrived at the Cameron's with a deadpan look. I didn't know what to expect when I entered. Rafe sounded upset about something so I knew I had to be here. I walked up to the glass doors and pulled them open, the house was silent.

"Hello?" I called as I shut the door behind me. "Rafe?" I pulled out my phone to text him just as Wheezie appeared in front of me.

"Hali?"

"Hey Wheeze" I genuinely smiled as the girl wrapped her arms around me. "How are you?"

"I'm good" She nod as she broke the hug, fixing the glasses that sat on her nose. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see Rafe" I honestly replied, immediately taking it back when I saw the look of confusion on the girls face.

"Rafe?" She frowned.

"Yeah" I nod. "Do you know where he is?"

"Um upstairs i think" She pointed with a shrug.

"Alright thank you" I smiled giving her a quick hug goodbye.

A beautiful chandelier hung over the flight of stairs, the steps twisted around. It felt wrong to be here. The house was beautiful and way too big for someone like me. I didn't belong with items and interior of the house. I felt like an outsider. I vaguely remembered my way around the house, finding my way to Rafes room. I placed my ear on the door to make sure it was safe before stepping in.

"Rafe?" His head snapped around in an instant, his eyes looked slightly red as he sat on the floor.

"Hali?" He sighed before standing up and walking over to me.

"Are you okay?" I frowned to see the boys state. I was genuinely concerned. The blonde didn't reply and only nod his head in response. I wrapped my arms around his neck, letting his arms around my waist as he dug his head into my shoulder.

"I'm sorry" His voice was muffled as he sniffled.

"I don't care about that right now" I shook my head as I rubbed his back. "What's wrong"

"My fucking dad" He lift up his head as he threw his arms in frustration.

"What happened?" I asked as he took a seat on his bed.

"It's just- it's always Sarah" He shook his head in annoyance, running his tongue against the inside of his cheek. "Like why can't it even be me?"

I sighed as I took a seat next to him, keeping my gaze in front of me. "Dads will always love the first girl, they treat them like a princess. Until one day, everything falls apart and they won't treat them the same"

Rafe shared a confused look as he turned to look at me. "How do you know that?"

I chuckled ruefully "Trust me" He pouted and nod in agreement. "It won't always be Sarah, soon it'll be you"

"But what if it never is"

"It will be" I reassured him as I turned to look at him, locking my eyes with his. I used my thumb to wipe the white substance under his nose, sharing a look with him.

"Thank you" He sighed as he rested his head on my shoulder. "I shouldn't of done what I did the other day"

"It's okay" I breathed of relief as I rested my head on top of his. I was thankful he apologised, maybe he didn't mean it after all. I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders, no more overthinking.

"Are you hungry?" He asked.

"Yes" I hastily said with a smile. He smirked, standing up and grabbing my hands to lift me off the bed. "Depending on what it is" I grinned as I followed him out of his room and down the hallway. We snuck down the stairs on the opposite side of the house, stopping half way.

"See that?" He nodded towards the two figures sitting in an office. Ward was recognisable, cleaned up and in a suit. The other figure though..

"Dad?" I questioned with a whisper, Rafe frowned at me.

"Wait, you didn't know he was here?"

"What the fuck is he doing here?" I sat on the step and peered down into the office.

"Dad said they had a business meeting" Rafe assured me, the frown still set on my face. "We can't let them see us"

I shifted on the step to angle myself so I could see into the office, watching the two converse in conversation. "Why not?"

Rafe grabbed my hand and quietly led me down the stairs. "Because i'm not supposed to be here right now"

"What?" I frowned as we snuck past the room, my hand in his. The sound of conversation stopping and feet shuffling made my heart slip a beat. I quickly pushed Rafe past the room, stopping in the doorframe.

"Hali?" My dad questioned with a frown.

"He- hey" I pasted a smile across my face as I rest my arm on the frame, Rafe standing quietly past the door, out of view.

"What are you doing here?" Dad questioned as he placed down the pieces of paper in his hand.

"Oh, I was just-" I paused, trying to think of an excuse. "Looking for Sarah, have you seen her?"

"Oh I think she's upstairs" Ward smiled as he pointed me in the direction.

"Thank you" I nod as I hurried past the door, grabbing Rafe's hand as we fled into the kitchen, both of us in fits of laughter.

"How did you come up with that on the spot?" He laughed in between pants.

"Who knows" I shrugged with a chuckle.

"Alright, what do you want?" Rafe asked as he opened the fridge to inspect their food.

"Surprise me" I shrugged as I sat on a stool behind the counter.

"Hmm" The dirty blonde thought. "Well we have leftover sushi?"

"Oh my god, yes" I sighed of relief at the sound of one of my favourite dishes. I hadn't eaten in a while and sushi sounded amazing.

"Hey Hali" Rafe spoke up as he prepared our meal.

"Hey Rafe" I replied with a raise of an eyebrow.

"Thank you" He gazed down to his feet, not making eye contact. I could tell he was embarrassed for being so vulnerable.

"It's okay" I softly smiled as I took the dish. "Thank you" He shot back a genuine smile, soft and sweet.