CHAPTER 10

Her hand slightly tightens around her phone as she stood in the doorway and stared in surprise at the two people standing outside her apartment.

"Mom? Dad? Well, this is a surprise, what brings the two of you here?"

She immediately questions them while pocketing her phone, her mind completely forgotten about Chase's text.

"We wanted to come to see you. Is that so hard to believe?" Her mother replied with a little sass in her tone.

Sylvia leaned against the door and frowned at them.

"At this time of the night?" Her father nodded.

"Yes well, your mother and I have been planning to come see you but we were too busy these last couple of days. But now that we're here, aren't you going to invite us in?"

Sylvia quickly moved out of the way and motioned for them to come in before closing the door behind them.

"I see nothing has changed in this room." Her mother comments while looking around the living room before they sat down on her sage-colored couch.

"What's there to change Mom? I like exactly how it is."

Her mother nods her head once and continued to inspect the room. Sylvia rolled her eyes and sat down and looked at her father.

"So, how's everything at home?"

"Normal, as usual. How was work?" She shrugged.

"Productive, as usual." Her father chuckled and shook his head and she smiled at him.

The way they speak to each other says a lot about their father-and-daughter relationship. It's no wonder where she got her straightforward attitude from.

"And Sonya?" Her mother immediately scoffed at the mention of her small sister's name and they both turned to look at her.

"She's completely out of her mind these days. Not only does she go out and party till dawn, she doesn't want to do anything with modeling like I wanted her to and she's barely home most of the days."

Sylvia raised a brow at her mother's complaining tone and leaned back in her seat.

"Well if she doesn't want to do modeling than let her do whatever she wants. Maybe she has a dream or something."

Serenity narrowed her eyes at her daughter.

"Oh, so you're saying that we should let her become like you then? Be all independent and do whatever you want huh? Have you been telling her to do all these things? To do exactly what you did and move out from home too?!"

Sylvia pressed her lips together and glared at her mom. Her annoyance towards her mother quickly resurfaced the minute she threw those words at her.

"I didn't say anything to her! We haven't spoken in forever so don't pin this on me. Maybe you should talk to her instead of asking me these ridiculous questions when I have no part in it."

A long intense pause.

The longer they continue to glare at each other, the more heated tension continues to grow in the room. They only broke eye contact when her father cleared his throat loudly and placed a calming hand on her mother's shoulder.

"What are you two doing here Mom? To find out if I had been a bad influence on Sonya. Is that what this is all about?"

Her father immediately looked straight at her.

"No, we're just here to see you honey and that's all. Believe me." He answered with a reassuring tone.

Before she had the chance to respond, a knock came from the door. She frowned while wondering who it could be at this time of the night and probably thought it was her sister or Shay.