CHAPTER 34

Chase texted her to meet up at some expensive French restaurant. Straight after work, Sylvia took her car and drove to the location. The entire way she kept feeling nervous for some reason and her heart was pounding in her chest.

It was unnerving and no matter what she did to try and calm herself down, it didn't work. She stopped at the front entrance of the restaurant and gave her keys to the valet before taking a deep breath and then making her way inside.

It was not that crowded inside and she felt some of her nerves slipping away. She took a moment to look around and finally spot the familiar blond haired sitting alone at a table in the far corner of the room. He was already drinking some wine by himself.

Sylvia went over to him and occupied the seat in front of him causing him to look up in surprise.

"Hey." She greeted him first and a smile immediately appears on his face while he adjusted in his seat.

"Hi. You look great by the way." Sylvia just nods with a tight-lipped smile on her face.

Their waiter came to their table with two menus and they browsed through them in silence. Chase kept glancing at her over his menu every after two minutes and Sylvia caught him two times and it made the atmosphere feel a little awkward.

"Have you decided yet?" Their waiter asked when he came around the second time with a notepad and a pen in his hands.

"Yes, I'll have your coquilles Saint-Jacques please," Sylvia said before turning towards Chase.

"Just a Foie gras for me. Thank you." He said to the waiter with a smile.

After the waiter leaves with the menus, they locked eyes for a minute, and then Chase gestures towards the bottle of wine on the side.

"Would you like a drink?"

"Um yes please." She held her wine glass towards him and Chase pours the red liquid inside it.

After taking the first sip, their waiter returns with their order and then they started eating, barely trying to keep eye contact while they both put their attention on their food instead.

"I miss seeing you, you know?" Chase suddenly says causing her to freeze mid-bite.

"Can we just ignore what the world is saying about us right now and just focus on us for a minute?" He continues.

Sylvia puts her fork down and finally looks up to meet his eyes.

"There is no us anymore Chase. You ruined that when you decided to lock lips with another woman for the whole world to see."

Chase's eyes quickly softened towards her and he reached out and placed her hand on top of hers, and she looked down at his hand which made her feel those familiar butterflies at the pit of her stomach.

"I know I screwed up Sylvia and I would do anything to make things go back the way they used to. I love you, Sylvia. I know you feel the same way about me and you still do. I know it, I can see it in your eyes."

Sylvia's heart was now beating even faster than ever. He said the 'L' word. Just now, right there he said it. Before she used to imagine that he would come right out and say it during a different situation.

But hearing him say it now, when they're not even together anymore it hits differently. She broke eye contact and reached for her wine glass and finished the last drop of her wine. She didn't know what to say and suddenly, she felt the urge to leave.

"Syl....please say something." He softly urged.

She quickly reached inside her handbag and pulled out her wallet. She opens it and pulls out a few wads of cash and placed it on the table which was to pay for her half of the meal