CHAPTER 20

Sylvia was distracted when she got back to the office. Her mind kept replaying every word that Brooke had said to her today and there was a heavy feeling tugging at her heart.

She was staring blankly at the folders in front of her and she didn't even notice Chase coming into her office.

"Syl!" Chase repeated one more time while flicking his fingers in her face and she finally snapped out of her daze.

She blinked her eyes repeatedly and then looked up at him. Chase looked at her with concern and gently placed his hand under her chin.

"You okay? What were you thinking about?"

Sylvia plastered a smile on her face and sat up straight in her seat.

"Nothing! Just distracted with work I guess."

"You sure?" She nodded her head in reassurance while smiling up at him.

"I'm fine don't worry."

He nods his head once and then leaned away from the table while straightening his suit jacket.

"I came around earlier so I can take you out for lunch but you were not here. Where'd you go?" He asked her.

Her conversation with his mom replayed one more time in her head and her smile slowly faded.

"I went out for a meeting." The lie had seemed to convince him coz he suddenly grinned back at her.

"Then let's go grab something to eat. C'mon." She reluctantly nods her head before standing from her desk and following him out of the room.

OoO

They decided to have lunch at a restaurant near the company. Chase ordered a cheeseburger while Sylvia decided to just have a plain salad. Her appetite was not there, not when her conversation with Brooke kept going over and over in her head and she can't stop thinking about it.

She forcefully took another bite of her salad before sighing again.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Chase suddenly asked and her eyes snapped back to him.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He just stared at her for a long minute.

"Really? Look whatever is on your mind, you know you can tell me, right? Whether it's about work or your family or anything Sylvia. You know I'm always here for you."

Sylvia smiled and grabbed his hand across the table.

"I'm fine, nothing is going on. I was just thinking about that client that I met earlier. His deal proposal was not how I expected it to be and I'm not sure if Jason will accept it. At least not with those terms and conditions."

Sylvia felt bad about lying to him again. She just couldn't tell him the truth so lying to him now was the only thing she could do to keep her mind off of it and also to avoid Chase asking more questions.

"Okay. How's your sister doing by the way?"

"She's okay. She still needs to tell my parents that she doesn't want to do modeling anymore otherwise they could find out from other people and it could turn out bad."

"Yeah, you're right. It would be better for her to just tell them the truth." Chase responded in agreement.

They continue to finish their lunch and after they're done, Chase drove them back to the company and they part ways in the elevator.

Sylvia had thought about what Brooke had told her and as much as she hates to admit it, Brooke was right.

Sylvia knew from the start that she had zero chance to end up with a guy like Chase. But because he had approached her first and won't leave her alone till she agrees to go out with him, she thought she should give him a chance and see what it was liked to date someone like Chase Evans.

They're both grown adults and Sylvia can only allow herself to view the matter maturely and make the right decision for the both of them.

Chase is already known for his reputation. She knew that sooner or later he will get bored of her and dump her but before that happens, she will break up with him first. She'd be doing him a favor.

It would also be best for them to break up so they can go on their separate ways so that she can continue living her life the way it was before while Chase can be with the woman that is right for him and also accepted by his family.

To them, she's average but Sylvia knows her worth and she will not let people like Brooke Evans tell her where she belongs. But deep inside, she knows that her feelings for Chase was real.

She had grown to like him more than she thought she would and they both know that what they have is real. It's not easy to just throw it all away just like that but when it comes to doing what's best for the other, sacrifices like this have to be made.

But the real question is;

Is she even ready to let him go?