The Final Game

I knew I love her when my plan changed, when I felt fine about losing the game if it's what it cost to win her.

Ammy is like a puzzle. Every piece of her makes sense. Every corner of her fits together—like a jigsaw puzzle. It doesn't make her perfect, it makes her whole with flaws—like all of us. She is just like everybody else but one may find it hard to solve her. Still, the right player won't give up.

A lot of people have put her down and said she was hard to fix. But you can't fix something that isn't broken. She's not broken. She needs someone who can equal her depth. That's something only the right person can understand.

I became that person.

"Dito ako madalas pumunta kapag gusto ko mapag-isa. Noong may kaunti pa akong oras na walang gawin," aniya.

"For?"

"A space to breathe, to dream."

She dragged me here to the rooftop. I started losing my fears when she became part of my life. I was scared of heights before.

"You like the view?" I asked.

She shook her head. "I hate it. But that hate motivates me. Palagi akong tumitingin do'n. Sa matataas na gusali.

"Kapag ayoko na, pumupunta ako rito. Ipapaalala ko sa sarili ko na balang araw, makakapgtrabaho ako bilang journalist, broadcaster, o anchor sa isa sa malalaking network. At balang araw din, makakakuha kami ni Mama ng epasyo sa maganda at kilalang condo na 'yon."

I love listening to her dreams. They tell me what person she is.

"Sabi kasi nila libre mangarap, bata, nawili. Akala ko paramihan at pataasan. Hindi naman ako nasabihan na hindi pala sila libre abutin."

Humalukipkip ako. "Ironic. I can afford my dream but for some reason, it's still hard to get it  wrap around my fingers." Kailangan pa rin ng kundisyon.

I like when we talk about shallow things. Our favorite color, favorite fruit, our birthdays, and the such. But I will die for moments like this. Where we talk about our dreams and what and where we want to be.

Oftentimes, when I'm with her, I wished I could stop the time and make everything slow so I could enjoy the moment without worrying if she's still here tomorrow, or will it be a tinted memory
of two souls who loved Yesterday.

"I'm sorry, Rad," she uttered.

"For what?"

She shrugged. "Akala ko kasi dahil mayaman ka, madali ang lahat para sa 'yo. I thought you don't deserve your position and that you were selfish for making my chance to have my dream lesser. Pareho lang naman tayong may pangarap."

"No, don't say sorry. I understand, Ammy."

"Sana maging teacher ka."

I smiled. "You will become a journalist, I am sure."

They say, the opposite attracts. We relate to each other a lot, we are similar in many ways. And it could be the reason why I am not just attracted to her, I'm in love with her.

"Ammy, marry me."

"Oo naman. Kapag tama na ang panahon," nakangiti niyang sagot.

"No. Let's get married tonight," I said. "Here. Now. Me, you, and the one who's watching us from above."

She couldn't believe it but I'm serious about it.

I took the rings from the can of beer and stared at her. "I'll wait for you in the aisle."