CHAPTER 17

The sun has set, the drinks were served. Chaeryeong, Jeong, and Yeji are already gathered at Jeong's apartment.

"that's crazy." Jeong reacted to Yeji's story. "do you think he'll find me attractive?"

"shut up." Chaeryeong slaps his arm. "so, now it's up to Ryu?"

"I guess." Yeji lowers her head.

"oh, don't worry. leave that to me. you guys will get laid tonight."

"Minjeong!" the two girls shouts at him.

"whoa, chill. I'm just joking. At least I'll make him say something. Geez."

Not long after, the bell rings. Jeong stands up to get the door for the last person.

"come in." Jeong smiles at him.

As soon as he steps in, he can feel the warm atmosphere that the three created. It's the first time in years that Ryu visits someone's home.

"I brought some food." Ryu held up a box of pizza and paper bags on the other hand.

"great! I'll take care of that and you can just sit down." Jeong lead him to sit beside Yeji.

There's no awkward tension at all. It's rather comfortable. Remembering what Yuna said, Ryu decided to just start a conversation.

"I had a schedule today. That's why I'm late." He started.

"aren't you tired?" Yeji reacted pretty quickly.

"not really. I'm used to it. I just got the work yesterday. I accepted it because I thought I still can make it on time." Ryu then takes off his jacket to get more comfortable.

"right." Yeji cleared her throat. Just a simple act from Ryu can make her heart flutters. "have a drink."

"did Jeong made these?" Ryu grabs one glass and take a sip.

"how's it?" Jeong sits beside Chaeryeong.

"it's good. Sweet." Ryu smiles at him. "I still can't believe you end up together. I just think about it now."

"me too." Chaeryeong chuckles. "I can't believe you haven't made any announcement."

"what announcement?" Ryu raised an eyebrow.

"you and Karina?"

"I'd rather not talk about her." Ryu stifles a laugh. "we ended it."

"why? You look good together." Yeji asked. Instead of getting satisfied like she had expected, she ended up feeling sorry for him. he must've liked her a lot.

"there are some things I can't find in her, I guess. Sure, she's pretty, kind, understanding, but, there's still something missing." Ryu heard himself. He hates getting emotional. "I sounded so desperate... and boring."

"we're glad to see this side of you." Jeong said sincerely. "as if you have to go through heartbreak to open up." Jeong continued with his joke.

"ugh... anyway." Chaeryeong raised her glass. "cheers. To Ryu being open for the first time."

Ryu is not offended at all. He just follow along and raised his glass, followed by Jeong and Yeji.

"so... how about you and Hyunjin?" Ryu asked Yeji who's still not saying anything.

"we too, opened up to each other." Yeji smiled at him.

"hmmm..." Ryu doesn't want to ask further question regarding her private life. He supposed that Hyunjin already told her about being attracted to men. That's an information he doesn't need to know but he knows anyway.

"how's Yuna?" Chaeryeong asked.

"she's um..." Ryu contemplated, whether he should just tell them or keep that to himself. He knows that this is a safe place for him to say anything but still, something holds him back. "well, she's doing great now."

"I'm sorry to ask but did she tell you?" Chaeryeong continued.

"you know?" Ryu realized that there thinking the same thing. "already? How long?"

"okay. Before we go any further, what the fuck did you guys talk about?" Jeong cut them off.

"alright. Yuna told me about her infection. We're treating it." Ryu sighs.

"damn... that's sad." Jeong massaged his temple. "I really hope she's doing well."

"are you okay, now? did something else bother you?" Yeji placed her hand on Ryu's back, rubbing it up and down. "whatever it is you're going through, we're here. We'll be with you."

Ryu doesn't know how to react. He's just glad he opened up to them. Thanks to Yuna for encouraging him.

"are we gonna eat or what?" Jeong chimed in. "the pizza is getting cold."

With that, they all start to enjoy the moment. Telling about their days, business, works, and all those casual things. in addition, Jeong keeps refilling the drinks. Well, that's his specialty, anyway. From the lightest, to straight liquor.

For about two hours, everyone starts feeling light. Yeji is the worst drinker, while Jeong is pretty much still awake.

"should we stop?" Ryu cleared his dried throat. "I can't drive anymore."

"who said you're going home?" Jeong chuckles. "your turn to sleep here. You let us stay the night, that day."

"I can't, Jeong. my sister is alone."

"dude, you have maids. She'll be fine. Chill." Jeong sits beside him, putting his arm around his neck. "just tonight."

"fine. Get off me." Ryu stands up.

"where are you going!" Yeji pulled his wrist.

Already struggling to stand up, he can't resist her pull. He sits back down.

"I need some space." Ryu gently pushed her hand off of him.

Jeong then helps Ryu to walk. Since this place is unfamiliar to Ryu, he doesn't know where to go. Then, he bumps into a window. His vision is still pretty clear. He opens up that window and stares outside. Somehow, all emotions starts coming up to the surface. He honestly don't know why he's so sad all of a sudden.

"you good?" Jeong looks at him. tears already falling from his deep brown eyes. "dude, you okay?"

"what's wrong?" Yeji walks towards them, swaying here and there, trying to get to them. She only has one thing in her mind. Ryu. Her vision too, only sees him. "look at me." she said sternly.

Ryu is too weak to refuse her. with the nonstop tears that he let out, he managed to show a decent expression, as if nothing bothered him. he's now facing Yeji. No one else around them.

Under the moonlight that shines on them, they share a deep session of eye contact. Yeji runs her hand on Ryu's cheek. One arm supporting herself leaning on the window pane.

Suddenly, Ryu rests his head on Yeji's shoulder. Yeji can hear his subtle sobs and cries. She doesn't know how to process this. this is supposed to be something that she wanted the most but her heart can't take it. As if all his worries and troubles are transferred into her. she slowly put her hand on his back. both of them. Soon, pulling him into a hug.