CHAPTER 11

The four of them are sitting at the dinner table, having a peaceful dinner.

"son, your phone have been ringing the whole time. don't you wanna answer that? it might be important." Hyunbin who used to be a workaholic gets bothered by the call.

"it's fine, sir. I set a different ringtone for the important calls. That one is from unknown numbers." Ryu seems calm. "I will check on it after this."

"alright then." Hyunbin feels a little displeased. Though quality time is important, a constant call like that is not something to be ignored.

Not long after that, Wonpil burst into the room, hurriedly looking for Ryu.

"sir! Mrs. Shin! Your mother! She had a heart attack!"

Ryu's brain froze.

"the hospital tried to call you bunch of times but you didn't pick up. I suggest you come back as soon as possible."

With his shaky hand, Ryu takes out his phone. it's true that the hospital have been giving him a call and texts. Ryu grabs his chest. It hurts so bad he feels sick.

"take Yeji with you. I know you need her."

"thank you so much, sir." Ryu runs to him and bowed.

"just go!" Hyunbin shooed him.

-

Ryu finally arrived at the airport. Despite the hectic situation, Ryu and Yeji managed to follow each other's pace.

"are there any flight to New York today?" Ryu asked Wonpil.

"your father owned a jet, remember? It's for emergency. Let's go." Wonpil guides them to the gate.

"you have a private jet?" Yeji still had time to wonder.

"like he said, it's for emergency."

After a long rushing walk, they get to the plane.

"good evening, sir. We're about to take off. Please enjoy your flight."

How can he enjoy the flight knowing that her mother is in a critical condition? Ryu sits on one of the seats, bouncing his leg rapidly.

"have a drink first. I know how much you're worried about her but please calm down." Yeji shoved a glass of water towards him.

"do you think she'll survive?" Ryu looks at her, holding the glass. "I'm so scared, Yeji."

"just pray for her." Yeji sits beside him. she holds his hand, rubbing the back of it with her thumb.

"sir, the estimated time is about sixteen to seventeen hours. I told the pilot to get there as fast as we can." Wonpil informed. "I also got a call from the hospital that Mrs. Shin is still asleep but in a stable condition. They're keeping everything monitored." Wonpil placed a hand on Ryu's shoulder. "You can relax now. I'll keep an update on it."

"thank you Wonpil."

-

Ryu couldn't fall asleep thinking about his mother. He looks down at Yeji who's sleeping on his shoulder.

"sir. We're fifteen minutes away. Do you want something?" Wonpil offered.

"I'll have a wine. Bring the whole bottle."

"right away, sir."

The wine has arrived and Ryu nervously enjoyed it. He's still worried but not like the first reaction. He knows that his mother is doing okay in the hospital but he still needs to make sure that she's really okay.

"you couldn't sleep?" Yeji wakes up. "I'm kinda hungry." Yeji rubs her belly.

"we're about to arrive. Do you mind waiting a little bit?"

"it's okay. I can buy something at the airport." Yeji then goes back to snuggle on Ryu's embrace.

At the very least, Ryu feels at peace when being with Yeji. She can ease his stress and worries. Ryu shows his gratitude by kissing her on the head.

"aww... how romantic." Yeji looks up at him. "you used to be so cold to me."

"well... I didn't like you back then."

"no surprise." Yeji sighs.

"now I'm happy that you're here."

-

Ryu hurriedly walks out of the airport. Yeji is following his pace while eating her subway. They both follows Wonpil to the car. Thankfully, the parking lot is not that far.

"buckle up." Wonpil said before driving towards the hospital.

"have a bite. You must be hungry." Yeji shoved the sandwich towards him.

Ryu quickly take a bite and just then, his stomach rumbles. He couldn't care less about that.

"see? why don't you order one? I could've bought one for you." Yeji slaps his arm lightly. "you can go to your mom's room. I'll buy you something from the cafeteria later."

"it's okay. I want you to see her too."

After it feels like hours for Ryu to get to the hospital, they've finally arrived.

Ryu quickly runs towards the front desk to ask the room number. Once he knew, he walk towards the room.

"I'm gonna stop by the cafeteria. Trust me. you haven't eaten, Ryu. I'll catch up on you." Yeji rubs his forearm.

"Wonpil. Can you go with her? I'll go first."

Wonpil nodded then they part ways.

Ryu found the room. before coming in, he knocks a few times. When he stepped in, he sees Miyeon and her father standing beside the bed. He noticed that they're in the middle of a conversation.

"oh, god." Ryu rushed towards Nayeon. "are you okay now?" Ryu checks on her.

"I'm better. My chest is still hurt a little but I think I'm fine." Nayeon smiles at him.

"hi!" Miyeon greeted. "where were you? you should be glad that we're with her when that happened."

Ryu looks at her, questioning.

"we're having a dinner then we hang out for a moment, then she collapsed." Miyeon explained.

"I'm so sorry." Ryu faced his mother again. He holds her hand gently.

"it's not your fault." Nayeon reaches for his head. "how's she? Did you leave without her?"

"I brought her here. We're in a hurry and Mr. Hwang gave me his permission."

"who did you bring?" Jungseok asked.

"my girlfriend, sir." Ryu smiles at the thought of Yeji. It's a relief to finally able to say proudly that Yeji is his girlfriend.

"oh. I thought you already talk to him about our... discussion?" he asked Nayeon.