twenty two •

"Come here often?"

June 2025

"Peter...please don't drop me," Cecilia pleaded as she wrapped her arms tighter around the boy's shoulders, her eyes on the skyline behind them, and if she wasn't so nervous she would have been able to appreciate the view of the city.

"I won't ever drop you," He reassured as he too tightened his grip allowing him to feel her racing heart against his chest and through the material of her suit.

Cecilia sighed as she rested her chin against his shoulder trying to keep her stomach from twisting into knots at the height and the prospect of falling to her death. And although she could hear the smile in his tone she could also hear his steady heartbeat telling her she was safe with him.

It took them almost an hour, and Cecilia was getting more and more anxious as she realized where they were headed.

"Peter why do I hear water?" Cecilia exclaimed as she lifted her head to look but he quickly cut her off by spinning them midair so she couldn't see.

"Close your eyes!" He replied earning a disgruntled mumble from the brunette before she complied, if he was going to drown her so be it at this point. She knew she'd die on impact at this height if he were to let her fall, but she trusted him, whether she wanted to admit that or not.

Cecilia felt Peter land as his arm loosened around her, all she could hear was the wind and the sound of his beating heart, and after a few seconds, she peaked her eyes open. She felt her eyes widen as she realized where they were, or more accurately where they were above.

"Taa Daa," Peter sang as he pulled his mask from his face and stuffed it into her pocket. The brunette let her feet hit the small platform and turned around, but no matter how she moved his arm was still securely around her waist, his eyes watching for her reaction.

He watched as her eyes lit up with the sunset while a hand lifted to pull her mask down revealing an impressed grin. The orange hues left in the sky danced across her skin leaving her basking in a warmth she hadn't felt in months.

"The Brooklyn Bridge, this is...although terrifying, it's incredible," She responded as she let her hand fall around Peter's wrist and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Did you know that the East River isn't actually a river because--"

"Because it's connected to the ocean on both sides," Cecilia finished with a knowing smile, her eyes not leaving the sun as it started to fade behind the horizon.

Peter, who hadn't taken his eyes off of her, nodded as a look of admiration crossed his features. Her intelligence never seizing to entrance him. He had seen some of the darkest parts of this woman, and although her hands were stained with blood he trusted them completely. He just hoped she trusted him as much, and he brought her up there to give her a reason.

"Come here often?" Cecilia wondered as she glanced over her shoulder to meet his gaze, and as soon as their eyes connected he felt his face burn in the realization that he had been caught staring.

He cleared his throat and nodded as the wind blew his curls across his forehead. Cecilia watched with a sense of guilt, the resemblance between Peter and the boy she first loved was so similar. Yet their differences were what made them who they were, they were completely different people and she cared about both of them more than she'd ever tell.