Division

Charlies POV:

I walked into the room to find Steve, Nat, Tony, Rhodey, and sam looking at Secretary Ross. Wanda and Vision followed behind me. I took a seat next to Steve and I tensed up, the atmosphere was heavy, this couldn't be good.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes"." I nodded. There will always be those who don't like you even before the avengers were created.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nat spoke

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Ross spoke. I could tell the last part was aimed at Wanda and I. We both shared a guilt filled look. Steve must have noticed my discomfit because I felt his handoff my leg.

Ross activates a screen behind him. News footage from past Avengers and SHIELD matters flash on the screen as he speaks.

"New York.

he showed pictures and videos of Chitauri leviathan. Terrified citizens. A soldier firing a gun. Banner smashes into a building and sends a dust cloud to engulf the camera

Everyone shifts uncomfortably in their seats. I make eye contact with Rhodey and we both share a sad look.

"Washington DC." Ross continues

The three Insight helicarriers, firing on each other. The destroyed Triskelion. A helicarrier crashing into the Potomac and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera.

"Sokovia." Ross adds

Terrified citizens, running. The city rising. A building falling over. I squeezed Steves hand on my leg as I see terrified citizens.

"Lagos." Ross finishes. I immediately looked up. Guilt spilling out of me. Steve looked over to me in concern but I couldn't tear my eyes away from the scene. I saw myself exiting the burning building.

"Okay. That's enough." Steve said standing up for Wanda and I

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross says as he passes me a thick book. I shuffle over to Rhodey since him and I know these things very well. I notice the title and instantly knew where this was going.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary." Ross states. I look away from the book and look at him wide eyed. Is he serious?

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve spoke up almost reading my mind

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross pushes "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes . . . you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." He finished, i grew more frustrated. I understood why this came up, but this is not the solution.

"With all do respect sir, I do not think this is the right decision. Way before the avengers were created, before I was created, not everyone agreed. There were always people who saw soldiers with the utmost respect and others who felt they had no purpose and were not needed. Yeah we have made mistakes, everyone has including you. But at the end of the day we save more lives then if we weren't there." I said looking Ross in the eye. I could see his frustration with me but I wasn't budging. I knew what was right.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." Ross says ignoring my comment

"Talk it over." Ross finishes

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" I said stopping him

"Then you retire." Ross says as he walks out.

"Lets clear our heads then meet up in 10 minutes to discuss the situation" Steve said standing and walking away. I quickly get up and follow him to our room.

"Steve" I called out to him shutting the door.

"Not everyone is going to agree" Steve says. I come over to him and wrap my arms around his waist pulling him close to me. He wraps his arms around me and we stand there silently together for a minute.

"We are apart of an amazing team, but we all come from different backgrounds... different times. We won't come to a unanimous decision. But in not going down without a fight. We do what's right Steve" I spoke. He looked me in the eyes and smiled

"You always know what's right doll. I could not agree more, I just dont want this team to fall apart. But I can't step away from what's right either" He finished

"We are in this together Steve" I told him pulling him in for a kiss. We finally broke apart after a minute

"Lets go meet the team" Steve said as he grabbed my hand and led me out the door.

I was not ready for what this meeting would bring.