Liar

HQ:

Charlies POV:

Steve and I were being led up to Pierces office. We both were tense. We just got thrown back into this world which is overwhelming and confusing and now here we are confused again but by who to trust. We finally reached his office, Steve held the door for me. I gave a small smile. Its the little things he does for me that make me love him more and more.

"For whatever it's worth, you did your best." Pierce said, though to who I wasn't sure.

"Thank you, sir." Sharon replies then turns to us "Captain, Commander" She says walking away

"Neighbor." Steve says agitated. I was to, I though we would have privacy from SHIELD. I thought our home was an escape from that. I guess not.

"Ah, Captain, Commander. I'm Alexander Pierce."He says. Obviously you are.

"Sir, it's an honor." Steve and I say shaking his hand. This guy is hiding something, my instincts told me there was something off and I always trust them. Steve and I backed away, I moved closer to him unsure of the situation.

"The honor is mine, Captain. My father served in the 101st. Come on in." Pierce said completely ignoring me. I didn't show my shock expression, i kept my face cold. I knew this man was up to something, he probably knows I am aware. Steve gave my hand a squeeze as we entered to comfort me. I never want recognition, but to throw it in my face like that.

"That photo was taken five years after Nick and I met. When I was at State Department in Bogota. ELN rebels took the embassy, and security got me out, but the rebels took hostages. Nick was deputy chief for the SHIELD station there. And he comes to me with a plan. He wants to storm the building through the sewers. I said, "No, we'll negotiate." Turned out the ELN didn't negotiate, so they put out a kill order. They stormed the basement, and what did they find? They find it empty. Nick had ignored my direct order and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil. He saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter." Pierce continued. I could careless about his story, i doubt any of this is true.

"So you gave him a promotion." Steve said

"I've never had any cause to regret it. Captain, why was Nick in your apartment last night?" He asked. So that's how you want to play this, pretend i don't exist.

"I don't know." I responded flatly narrowing my eyes at Pierce and Crossing my arms. I didn't even give Steve a chance to answer. Pierce sent a glare my way before turning to Steve.

"You know it was bugged?" He said

"I did, because Nick told me." Steve answered not giving more information then needed

"Did he tell you he was the one who bugged it?" Steve and I were silent. I know it was him, without a doubt. This guy reeked chaos

"I want you two to see something." Pierce says as he brings up footage of Batroc

"Is that live?" Steve asked

"Yeah, they picked him up last night in a not-so-safe house in Algiers." Pierce responded. Whats his game?

"Are you saying he's a suspect? Assassination isn't Batroc's line." I said coldly

"No, it's more complicated than that. Batroc was hired anonymously to attack the Lemurian Star and he was contacted by e-mail and paid by wire transfer. And then the money was run through seventeen fictitious accounts, the last one going to a holding company that was registered to a Jacob Veech." He states. I was trying to piece everything together in my head.