Confused

Hospital:

Charlies POV:

Steve and I rushed to the hospital as fast as we could. I was lost in thought, trying to navigate this new territory. The organization I trusted when being brought into this world is corrupt. Was i brought back for the right reasons? Whatever it is, I know who i am and what i stand for. The only one I can trust is Steve.

We finally arrived and walked hand in hand to the surgical area. Steve and I gazed in, I saw Steve was tense so I moved into him to show I was there for him. Just then Nat walked up, I looked at her with sympathy as she stared off towards Nick.

"Is he gonna make it?" Nat asked

"I don't know." Steve responded.

"Ive seen what this many bullets can do to someone...Ive experienced it...Its not a good prognosis" I say staring off. It still brought me pain when I thought about it. Steve pulled me closer and gave me a small smile, it comforted me easily.

"Tell me about the shooter." Nat said after awhile

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." Steve says trying to go through his memory. Just then Agent Hill walks in.

"Ballistics?" Nat immediately asks her

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Hill said aggravated by the situation

"Soviet-made." Nat says knowingly, I look at her curious how she knew.

"Yeah." Hill states.

Suddenly, Nicks state begins to decline and the surgical room turns into chaos. We wall watched quietly hoping he wasn't going to die.

"He's in V-tach." One nurse said

"Crash cart coming in." Anther nurse said hurriedly

"Nurse, help me with the drape." the Doctor said

"BP is dropping."

"Defibrillator! I want you to charge him at one hundred." We all watched in shock. I couldn't help but be brought back, was this what it was like with me. How many times did they try to bring me back? I had to take a step back for a moment. Steve looked at me with concern but I couldn't assure him i was okay.

"Don't do this to me, Nick." Nat said pleading

"Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!" the doctor said "Pulse?" he asked

"No pulse."

"No pulse."

We all had our heads down, what is going on. Was Nick someone we could trust? What did he know?

"Okay. 200, please. Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear! [Fury is given another shock] Give me epinephrine! Pulse?" The doctor asked

"Negative."

"Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this to me." I walk over to Nat putting a hand on her shoulder for comfort.

"What's the time?"

"1:03, Doctor."

"Time of death, 1:03 a.m." The doctor called, we all looked down in sorrow, I may not have known him long, but he made sure I always felt comfortable and we could always trust him.

I looked down at the flash drive, not knowing where to go from here.

Hospital Room:

Steves POV:

I lead Charlie to another room to make sure she is okay. I noticed the shift in her body language when we arrived.

"Charlie, are you alright? I can tell your off" I told her honestly.

She took a moment to respond, so I grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze to encourage her.

"Seeing Nick in all that chaos...it hurt me... Seeing all those bullet holes reminded me of the ones that ripped through me. I wouldn't have changed a thing about that day but the pain was so unbearable it never leaves my mind. And then seeing him on the table, I wonder that's what I looked like. Blood everywhere machines trying to bring me back to life. I don't mean to be selfish i just can't help but think about it." She spoke a tear dropping. She quickly wiped it away, trying to put on a brave face.

It hurt me to know the pain she went through and the trauma it left her with. It hurt to see she was putting on a brave face because she didn't feel comfortable being weak.

"Charlie look at me, you don't have to be brave all the time. With me I want you to be open. What you did was incredibly brave and I will always admire you for it. I didn't know at the time, but I had big shoes to fill. You will get through this, you will always have me." I told her cupping her cheek. She shed a few more tears. I leaned in and gave her a passionate kiss.

"I love you Steve" She said

"I love you too Charlie"

"Im sorry about Nick Steve, I know you knew him longer. Its hard, it makes it worse that this whole situation is confusing." She said comforting me

"I wish I understood what Nick wanted me to do" I spoke honestly.

Charlie pulled something out of her pocket "This may have our answers" She said.

"We will have to look at it, but lets go check on Nat and Hill" I told her pulling her into the room with the others.

Charlie immediately goes to Nat to comfort her

"I need to take him." Hill states. I see Natasha not budging.

"Natasha." I say as she touches his head but she storms out. "Natasha!" I yell as Charlie and I go after her.

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" She asked me filled with anger and caution. I noticed Charlie tense next to me

"I don't know." Part of me honestly still didn't know but I knew the flash drive Charlie held had answers. Suddenly Rumlow interrupts.

"Cap, Commander, they want you back at SHIELD."He says

"Give us a second" Charlie says harshly, she didn't trust him.

"They want you two now." He says not budging. Charlie Gave him a glare, we didn't need this right now, but I knew in order to get answers we needed to keep calm and go.

"Okay." I said flatly then go back to Nat

"You're a terrible liar." She turns bumping into Charlie and walks off.

"STRIKE team, escort Captain Rogers and Commander Williams back to SHIELD immediately for questioning." Sitwell says into his earpiece. Charlie and I gave each other a worried look, we had to try and act like we know nothing even though we know too much. I walk past the vending machine and get an idea. I look at Charlie and the machine and she immediately knows exactly what I'm thinking and hides the flash drive inside.

"Let's go." I say once I see her finish. I grab her hand as we walk out.

"STRIKE, move it out." Rumlow says