Alone

Year 2012, After the avengers have captured Loki from Germany:

Third POV:

The Avengers boarded the quintet with a detained Loki. Steve sat there lost in his own mind, he felt alone lost and confused. This world is completely new to him. He had no one, everyone he loved was gone and he was stuck.

But he couldn't sit there forever in regret, he needed to focus on his mission. While focusing on Loki he realized something.

"I don't like it" steve spoke straight.

"What? Rock of ages giving up so easily" Tony spoke sarcastically

Steve gave him a pointed look, "I don't remember it ever being that easy, Fury didn't tell me he was calling you in" Steve spoke clearly annoyed with tony's antic.

"Yeah, there's a lot of things fury doesn't tell you." tony responded almost trying to size up the captain.

Suddenly, thunder and lighting nearly miss the jet making it shake violently. Natasha questioned where the heck the storm came from.

From the corner of his eye steve noticed Loki tense up, "What's the matter?" he asked "Scared of a little lightning" he almost laughed.

Loki gave Steve a smug look "I'm not overly fond of what follows" he spoke. Just then a massive blinding light hits the jet and the door is ripped open. Thor, the god of thunder grabs Loki and exits the jet not wasting any time.

"Now there's that guy" Tony spoke a little shocked

"Another Asgardian?" Natasha asked

"Think this guy is a friendly?" Steve asked with slight concern

"Doesn't matter. If he frees Loki or kills him, the Tesseract's lost." Stark replied determined. He begins to walk towards the ramp to exit the jet.

"Stark we need a plan of attack" Steve demanded.

"I have a plan attack" Tony said simply and with that he left. Steve went to grab his parachute when Natasha spoke up "I would sit this one out cap"

"I don't see how I could" he responded still getting prepared to jump

" These guys come from legends, they're basically gods." She spoke trying to convince him. But Steve wasn't having it, this is his mission, people could get hurt.

"There's only one God, ma'am. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." Steve spoke then exited the jet.

Helicarrier, After Loki Escaped and Coulson Died

Steves POV:

I sat in the debriefing room waiting for the rest of the team to come. Fury called us in, for what I have no idea but all I can think about was Agent Coulson. I never got to sign those cards for him. As the others entered I remained silent as did they.

I am out of my time here. This technology is out of my comprehension and now I worry SHIELD will become the new Hydra. I wish I had someone to talk to someone to help me through this but i hate feeling like a burden. Thats what I had been my whole life until I became this.

As soon as Fury walked in all our eyes shot up to him. He stayed silent for awhile then finally spoke up "We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming." he took a deep breath then continued

"Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this, called THE AVENGERS INITIATIVE. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes." We all remained silent, the feeling of disappointment hit me hard. I let them down. I am supposed to be Captain America, the first hero, the great hero. But here we are.

Fury spoke up again "I didn't want to have to resort to this, I didn't want to bring her back into the world like this, but I have no choice"

We all looked around confused waiting for him to finish. Fury handed us each a very thin file. As I opened it I saw a picture of a beautiful woman with long brown hair and caramel eyes. I was too focused on the picture to read her file.

"Captain Rogers" Fury spoke and i looked to him. "You are labeled as the first hero, the first avenger... but that isn't true. Charlotte Joyce Williams, U.S Navy 1940." I looked at fury in shock, a woman in my time in the navy? How come I never heard anything i don't think anyone i knew had any ideas she existed.

"Under a fellow colleague and friend of Dr. Erskine, a hero was created. She was a lot like you Rogers, selfless, brave, a born leader. She tried many times to get into the navy but she was a woman. Until Dr. Antoines saw a fire in her, the same one Dr. Erskine saw in you. She was given the serum and station at the Florida Naval Base where she served until December 1940. There was a massive air attack on the harbor as well as the hospital. Ships were sunk right and left people were taken down without a thought. But many more would have died that day had it not been for Charlotte. The serum enhanced her protective nature and gave her the ability to create shields. That day, she put her powers to use. She completely shielded the harbor and hospital from further damage even though it meant leaving herself exposed. Thee bullets came during down on her, while her shields were able to deflect most back at the planes...Charlotte took on so much. Through the pain she was able to save thousands."

I couldn't believe it, another soldier like me.

Fury continued "Her dying wish was for the day to be remembered of those who lost their lives. She didn't want anyone to know of her part or even that she existed. So we made sure of it. Granted her one last thing for her sacrifice. But she didn't die. Although her body was mangled and damaged to a great extent, it began to heal itself. Dr. Antoines entrusted two people, Howard Stark and Agent Margaret Carter, to take care of her and hide her. She has been in Cryofreeze since then, 71 years." I stiffened at this news.

How come I never knew. I didn't care about not being the first hero, all i cared about was that this woman gave so much and didn't want anything in return. So selfless, a true hero and a true sailor.

The rest of the team had shock across their faces, we couldn't believe it.

"As we speak, Agent Hill and the medical team are defrosting her. We need another Avenger, another hero." with that Fury dismissed everyonee but asked me to stay.

"Sir, how come I never knew?" i still couldn't believe it.

"She is a selfless woman ROgers, she didn't want anyone to know. Many died that day, she wanted them to be recognized. Rogers, this is going to be a hard adjustment for her. Just like you she accepted her death and now she will be waking up and alive in a whole knew world. Everyone she knew is dead. Maybe you two could be there for each other." Fury said with a smirk.

My cheeks got warm as i Looked back at her file "Charlotte Joyce...Charlie" I said quietly to myself.

This is the kind of person we need, she could help us win.