Chapter-17

Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful, kind-natured maiden with her sisters. She had big eyes, fair skin, and long golden hair that reached below her waist. From a young age, Medusa devoted herself to a life of celibacy in the name of her goddess, Athena. However, despite her origins in beauty, Medusa’s name quickly became synonymous with malevolence, hatred, and monstrosity. All because of a man.

One day, Poseidon, the God of the Sea and rival to Athena, saw Medusa and was mesmerized. Medusa, being a priestess to Athena, was a woman who had vowed to remain a virgin and give up her life to the goddess, and because she was loyal, she rejected Poseidon. And what does he do about it? Rape her of course! And decided to humiliate Athena by raping the priestess on the steps of Athena’s temple. Poseidon vanished after he was done and left Medusa vulnerable and weak.

Medusa prayed to Athena for guidance and forgiveness. After all, in those days, the gods claimed their mates as their partner forever, and Medusa was now Poseidon’s wife. Athena looked down in anger and cursed Medusa for betraying her. Medusa was sent to a faraway island and was cursed so that no man would want her. She was given cracked scaly skin, madness, and her signature snake hair and stone eyes. Medusa was now a monster woman.

All of this speaks a lot about Athena’s character. She doesn’t come off as being a big women’s advocate. It troubles me that this powerful goddess was herself vain and sided with the wrong. From another angle, there are some who argue that Athena blessed Medusa with the power to protect herself from the brutality of men.

I like the second version better but knowing greek gods, I'm sure Athena had zero sympathy toward a rape victim.

From this story, we conclude that men are assholes and pieces of trash who cant take no for an answer and as revenge do nothing but destroy lives of women. Peak pathetic behavior if you ask me.

Closing the book and putting it back inside my bag, I stretched my arms and got up, making my way out of the room and down the stairs to the kitchen.

"What you cooking?" I asked Yeonjun, sniffing the salty air.

Yeonjun turned around and smiled at me, wiping his hands on his apron. "Guess"

"It's not ramen" I said and he hummed.

"Is it tteokbokki?" I guessed, observing the cut vegetables and the red broth bubling in the pot.

"100 points" Yeonjun grinned, covering the pot with the lid.

Usually I would have prepared ramen or ordered something but I am going broke. You can't blame me, the end of the month means surviving on the last cents left in the bank account, thanks to my mom who refuses to send me money before the first of every month.

On top of that, Beomgyu ditched me to go on a date with his boyfriend. Understandable but I'm still mad. He is the one who cooks for me but thankfully his cousin stepped in to help me prepare lunch. More like, he made everything and let me eat it up. How lucky am I to be living with a chef ;)

"Do you need help?" I asked him, standing beside him.

He hummed. "Can you prepare the rice cakes? They are in the fridge."

I nodded and took the pack of store bought frozen cakes and spread them on a plate. I caught a glimpse of something from the corner of my eye, picked it up, and showed it to Yeonjun. "Can we add fish cakes too?"

Yeonjun chuckled, extending an arm and pinched my cheek, catching me by suprise. "Of course"

A bit taken aback with the sudden skinship, I shook my head and started cutting the fish cakes in bite sized pieces and set them aside.