Chapter-22

Have you ever been told by your elders not to fly too close to the sun? Because you might burn to death?
I'm guessing not. But there once was a father-son duo who ignored everyone's warning and attempted to escape from imprisonment by flying.

If you have read PJO, then you probably know who I'm talking about. Deadalus, the guy who created the labyrinth in the fourth book. He is the same guy who gave his laptop to Annabeth, that helped her defeat Kronos in the last book. Yeah, that old guy.

Daedalus was also an accomplished sculptor and architect, and his skills were greatly admired by his peers. He had a son, Icarus. They flew to escape prison and somehow the wings melted and he drowned.

This story hurts my head. There are so many details but none of it makes any sense. And what's worse is that I cannot seem to remember any names or dates in this story.

I threw my textbook on the mattress and sighed. I am going to fail tomorrow, I just know that.

"You good?"

I looked up and saw Yeonjun standing by the door, wearing his pajamas. He was ready to go to bed.

"Stressed for tomorrow's exam?" He asked, sitting on the bed.

I nodded. "How come you look so chill?"

He chuckled. "It's physics. It's pretty easy."

"Of course, it is easy for you, Mr. Scholar," I said as a matter of fact. Yeonjun and his friend Changbin are like Newton and Einstein. They know everything.

"What's bothering you?" He asked, leaning a bit towards me.

"I cannot remember these dumb names," I said sourly. "I'm going to fail."

"I thought you liked History." He said.

"I do but this chapter is making me lose brain cells," I said, sighing.

Yeonjun got up and walked over to where I was half lying on the mattress on the floor. "Is that so?" He said, sitting cross-legged beside me.

With his sudden close proximity, I blushed a little but successfully hid it by pretending to look out the window.

"What's this story about?" Yeonjun asked, bringing his knees close to his chest.

"It's about a father and son who created wax wings to fly out of prison."

Yeonjun's eyes widened. "I'm curious. Tell me this story."

I cleared my throat and took a deep breath. Storytelling is my favorite thing.

"Icarus was the son of the master craftsman Daedalus. Daedalus was an expert craftsman who lived in ancient Greece. He is best known for his work at the palace of King Minos of Crete, who lived with his wife, Pasiphane. Weird name I know."

Yeonjun chuckled at my remark.

"However, this wife Pasiphane fell in love with the Cretan bull and gave birth to the Minotaur, a creature with the head of a bull and the body of a man. Don't ask me the details about how they managed to do it, but yeah, she gave birth to a monster. On top of that, her husband knew but didn't bother. To house this creature, Daedalus was commissioned to build a labyrinth, a maze-like structure because he was the most well-known architect."

"Soon after, Poseidon’s son Theseus invades the labyrinth and kills the Minotaur, by using the weapon made by Daedalus himself! The guts. Anyways, the king got angry and threw a tantrum. He was outraged that the man he trusted let something as big as a murder happen in his palace. So he imprisoned him along with his son in a tower."