Episode: One, Part 4.

Never let me down again by Depeche Mode ♪I'm taking a ride with my best friendI hope he never lets me down againHe knows where he's taking me♪

I'm taking a ride with my best friend
I hope he never lets me down again
He knows where he's taking me

"MANDATORY CERFEW TO FIGHT THE INFECTION AND INSURRECTION" ... "OBSERVE MANDATORY CURFEW TO FIGHT INFECTION AND INSURRECTION"

Joel pushed the heavy piece of metal aside and climbed out the tunnel Ellie following after him and me behind her Joel's partner exiting last. "Holy shit. Im actually outside!" Ellie beamed happily, "Jesus christ" Tess breathed out pulling Ellie out of a light that nearly hit her "Ok, we're gonna take the left edge around the buffer zone. you stay close and you follow my lead" she ordered looking at Ellie "Yeah, yeah of course" Elli agreed, "X, you stay behind Ellie" Tess said to me "Yes." i replied, "Lets go." the female smuggler said before crawling underneath some large vehicle, crouching along the other side of it. A pair of headlights went past blocking me from Ellie, behind the opposite car with Joel behind me. The thunder cracked through the air louder than it was earlier, Continuing through a beat up pipe. Rain tapping against the metal in an irritating rhythm, a helicopter passed above us the light from it streaming through the holes of the pipe. continuing through to the other side of the pipe and towards a wall a light quickly passing by them leaving as quickly as it came, Tess walked on towards a corner and turning it. A soldier stood relieving himself, on the wall. quickly noticing us "What the hell?" he spoke "Hay, Hay! Don't.. Don't- Don't move!" he panicked zipping his pants up "DON'T MOVE!" he repeated, i stood completely still trying to hide my face from him, We slowly put our hands up not wanting to get shot "You gotta be shittin' me." The soldier said, "OK, lets talk this out." Joel tried "Turn around." the soldier said "Get on your fuckin' knees". "Now hold on-" Joel tried to talk it out "What did i fuckin' tell you man? i said stay the fuck home." he snapped "GET ON YOUR KNEES!". "Just get on your knees. Just get on your knees" Tess said, immediately i obliged getting down on my knees with her "Listen, you let us do this run, we'll split the cards with you." She tried to reason with the soldier as the others kneeled "Oh will you?" the man questioned "Yeah" She answered "Im so blessed" he said sarcastically, "Hands on your head eyes forward" he said "HANDS ON YOUR HEAD!" he repeated, my heartbeat quickening rapidly. i have my hood up, if he removes it he'll see my scar. "Really man?" The female complained, "Yep. We're doin' this by the book." he replied as he scanned for infection "Jesus christ" the scanner zapped. Ellie. if she gets scanned it'll come back red. i can risk outing my cover to protect her, it's my job. "All right. What about three-quarters?" She tried reasoning again The machine beeped again "unauthorised exit. they'll hang you for that" he said "Fine. everything off this run. and half off on all pills" Joel tried this time "half off?" the soldier said "ALL off. Risk my job for half off" he continued towards me a shaky breath left me, Joel turned to see my slightly shaky body as the man pulled down my hood, i sucked in a breath my 'X' scar visible on my neck "Woah, give me this one you're free to go." He reasoned, i looked to Joel fear coating my eyes. His stern look didn't help my terrible breathing pattern. "No can do." Joel answered, the soldier lifting me up to stand by him holding onto me by the scruff of my hood. Scanning Ellie, i punched his groin and ellie stabbed his leg. he dropped me to the floor and i fell with a thud. a slight grunt escaping me. "Ellie, Ellie! Ellie, what the-" Tess panicked as the soldier cursed in pain and quickly pointing his gun towards Joel, Ellie behind him as i stood beside her. "Get out of the fuckin' way!" the soldier spat, "whoa, whoa! we can fix this." he tried reasoning again. "Move." the soldier persisted, Joel was quiet glaring at the soldier "Move." he repeated, Flashback, defiantly ptsd. Joel lunged at the guy tackling him to the floor punching him repeatedly. reaction, violence. ptsd memory, violent and easily triggered. i'll have to write these down later. Joel had finished punching the guy his breathing heavy, he looked up. yep, grounding himself. Ellie turned around the lady holding the scanner, it glowed red. i knew this would happen. "No, No! No im not sick!" Ellie pleaded "JOEL!" "I AM NOT SICK!" "JOEL" "I AM NOT SICK" "JOEL!" "LOOK! look! This is three weeks old." she showed her scar the woman quickly inspecting it "Nobody lasts more than a day! Does this look a day old to you?!" She pleaded them to believe her "You would've killed me!" "I should fucking kill you!" Tess spat, "I'd advise you not to." i warned, "When did it happen?" She asked Ellie "It doesn't matter! You have to trust me!" Ellie continued pleading "They're gonna catch us if we don't run!" sirens wailed in the distance "lets fucking go!" i said speed walking towards the gap in the fence, "Joel, we gotta move." She told the man who was still grounding himself trying to take in what's going on, "We gotta move, Joel!!" she ushered him as she passed through the fence. Joel picked up the soldiers gun and started walking towards the fence, i held it open for him letting him pass them before i did so myself.
...
(Back at the apartment)

the quiet patters of rain on the window filled the room, the silence soon broken by the click of the radio, static now filling the silence before it played music Depeche Mode's : Never let me down again, 1987.
the music quietly running through the room.. Code: Trouble.

~~~
finished- 1:29am 15/02/2023