Episode: Nine, Part 3.

when the party's over by Billie Eilish♪Don't you know I'm no good for you?I've learned to lose you, can't afford toTore my shirt to stop you bleedin'But nothin' ever stops you leavin'Quiet when I'm comin' home and I'm on my ownI could lie, say I l...

Don't you know I'm no good for you?
I've learned to lose you, can't afford to
Tore my shirt to stop you bleedin'
But nothin' ever stops you leavin'
Quiet when I'm comin' home and I'm on my own
I could lie, say I like it like that, like it like that

We had got back to the ground now, a large med-area laid out in-front of us.
"Was this a FEDRA thing?" Ellie asked, "No. Army. They put these places up all around. The first few days after the outbreak. Emergency medical camps. Obviously didn't last." He explained, "They had me in one just like this."
"With Sarah?" Ellie asked, "No, she was gone already." Joel told her.
"Oh... So what was wrong with you?"
"It was for this." He pointed to the scar on his head.
"Ah, the guy who shot and missed. I figured that would've happened later." She said.
"No... second day." He slowed down to a stand, I stopped too, standing beside him, "Well I gotta hand it to the Army people. They were way better at stitchin' you up than I was."
"It was me." Joel said, catching both of our attention. "I was the guy who shot and missed." My shoulder's dropped slightly, Joel sat on the concrete barrier, between me and Ellie again. "There's no story." He said, looking at his trousers. "Sarah died... and I couldn't see the point anymore. Simple as that. And I wasn't scared either. I was ready. I couldn't have been more ready. And when I.." he paused, "When I... went to pull the trigger, I-I flinched. Still don't know why. Anyway, the reason I'm tellin' you all this-"
"I know why you're tellin' me all this." Ellie spoke up, "Yeah, I reckon you do."
"So time heals all wounds, I guess."
"It wasn't time that did it." Joel said, eyes fixated in-front of him. My heart clenched at his explanation.
"Well, I'm glad that... that didn't work out." Joel and I nodded, "Me, too." Joel said, taking my hand. "Can I ask you something?" He turned to me, "Yeah, of course." I nodded to him, "How on earth are you immune?"
I sighed, I knew one of them would ask sooner or later. "Well... Taylor took me through the mall in the QZ to escape, turns out it wasn't a hundred percent clear of infected. I thought I actually protected us, for once. Turns out I failed there too. Her infected blood must have done something to mine while I was carrying her." My throat closed up. "Carrying her?" Ellie asked, "Yeah, when she got shot I... I carried her... for days. My parents were extremely strict on not using modern medicine, they used Cordyceps and other natural medicines most the time. It's not recommended for children but they didn't believe that, with any illness I had it was always that type of stuff they gave me. I don't know if that's why because it scientifically sounds a bit impossible with how it is now."
The two nodded, Joel pressing a kiss to my forehead.
"We should probably get going." Ellie spoke up.
"Yeah." Joel and I said, he kept his hand in mine as we got up. Walking onwards to the hospital. "You know what I'm in the mood for?" Joel asked Ellie,
"What?"
"Shitty puns."
"Oh-ho-ho!" Ellie grabbed the book from her bag, opening it to a random page. "People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow." Joel tutted, "too soon?" Ellie asked,
"No, it's topical."
Ellie laughed, "Oh! I love this one!
Moon rocks taste better than Earth ricks. Why? Cause they're meteor."
"Ohh, that's terrible."
"Fuck you. That was good."
"Thats a... thats a zero outta ten."
"Three outta ten." I corrected,
"All right, all right. What did the green grape say to the purple grape? Breathe, you idiot." I failed to hold in my laugh at the joke, "That's a three outta ten." Joel said, "seven, minimum."
"I'll give it a five."
"Ten definitely!" I laughed out,
"Five outta ten." Joel argued
"Five?"
The clank behind us caught our attention, we turned to see what looked like a bomb. Joel pulled us down to cover us. My ears rang heavily, worse than usual, barely hearing the mumbles and heaved breaths from the other two. My brain quickly registered what was happening, "Joel!?" I cried out. I couldn't hear any responses, just ringing as I got picked up.
"JOEL! PLEASE!" The person was taking me away.

~~~
Finished: 11/04/2023
Sooooo, how are we?