Episode: Three, Part 1.

Eyes without a face by Billy Idol

I'm all out of hope
One more bad break
Could bring a fall
When I'm far from home
Don't call me on the phone
To tell me you're alone

-(Y)-

Me and Ellie sat in the forest, the scratching of my pen filling the silence. I was sketching the connected infected from earlier, in different angles and sketching just the vines of cordyceps up the pages on my book, i'd taken up three pages already now starting on the fourth. "How do you draw Fungi so well?" Ellie asked from beside me, she had been busing herself with watching me sketch for the last three hours, slowly watching the pages come to life. "Ellie, i spent 14 years researching fungi, sketching them, watching them grow in different habitats. Its all just imbedded in my mind now, it's just practice and extreme dedication." I say finishing the sketch vine of cordyceps and moving on to fixing the outline and giving it details. Ellie rested her head on my left shoulder, quiet rustling made my head perk up and relaxing at the sight of Joel, knowing that he wasn't a threat. He grabbed his bag sifting through it, "You want your jacket back?" Ellie asked, Joel ignoring her. Joel ate a bit of his food pausing for a moment before tossing the packaged snack to Ellie and I, Ellie picked it up harshly and opened it, she offered me some and i took it with a nod in thanks. She chewed on some "I've never been in the woods." She stated, "More bugs than i thought." She added trying to start conversation "The woods are my favourite, so much stuff to look at and sketch." I told her "spent most my childhood surrounded by trees" I smiled at the memory of my childhood home "Really?" Ellie asked "Yup, grew up in a little cabin in the middle of the woods. It was a tiny circle of cabins.. about five, i had a few friends but." I stopped myself, Sighing i continued "Taylor was the only one that understood my nature obsession. She was equally as in love with it as i am, though, Taylor loved writing a teeny bit more." My smile had faded at the end of my little story. "Cool! so you two were like, best friends living in a huge forest together? awesome." Ellie beamed and i nodded, my story has pinched Joels attention too apparently, turning to look at him to find he was already looking at me, listening. his head whipped down focusing on whatever he was doing before. Silence once again took over before Ellie stoped it "Look, i've been thinking about-" "I don't want your sorries" Joel cut her off, "I wasn't gonna say "i'm sorry"." she quickly told him "I was gonna say i've been thinking about what happened... Nobody made you or Tess take me. Nobody made you go along with this plan. For god's sake Marlene could have told Y/n to take me! You needed a truck battery or whatever, and you made a choice. So don't blame me for something that isn't my fault." She explained Joel stared at her not saying a word, he grabbed his gun from the floor and Ellie got up. I sighed, putting my notebook in my bag and standing up. I pulled my flannel up over my left shoulder, tying my coat around my waist. Ellie gave Joel his coat "How much longer?" she aksed "Five-hour hike." Joel answered ellie nodded her head "We can manage that."
Joel looked at her and then to me before turning around and walking on.