Chapter 44 - Bel

Growling I throw another dagger pleased as it sinks into the throat of my target. Around me the battle rages on but my focus remains on the enemy in front of me as I rush forward to retrieve the dagger just so that I can throw it again. Whenever one of them comes into reach I don't even bother with the dagger instead I fall back to hand to hand, easily able to kill them with my bare hands thanks to my superior strength.

Most of the enemy this time are human with a few elves mixed in so my men have them defeated in little time. As the battle comes to an end we scour the battle ground for any of our own injured while searching to see if there are any living officers here that will be worth taking prisoner. Any other living enemy we find is quickly and painlessly killed, we don't want them to recover and fight us again.

With our work done for the day we return to our camp. It's only a small camp in comparison to what other general's have under their command but that's how I want it. I prefer this smaller force rather than commanding thousands of men, we're able to move and strike faster which is completely my style. The only downside of this division though is that I've been split up from Kor for nearly two months now as he'd taken a larger portion of the army to lay siege to Rhovas the second largest city in Nerkise.

On top of that split though our movements have made it difficult for me to receive any of Emmy and Lilas's letters. We've been travelling so quickly and so often that messengers have been having a hard time keeping up with us. With my rank I haven't had to wait for orders to come so we've kept moving without needing to wait for further instructions.

"So where are we?" I ask my second in command Gatael who I've charged with keeping track of our location. We're running low on supplies so in the morning we need to start making our way to the nearest base so that we can re-supply before continuing on with our mission of eliminating whatever enemy forces we encounter.

"Not far from Mar, it's perhaps a days march slightly south-east and we should be able to go there for more supplies. General Asaroth's hold of the city is secure so we can work from that base for as long as we need to." He informs me looking over the map and pointing out where we are and where we should be going next. We'd travelled through the route he's proposing a few weeks ago so it's back tracking slightly but we need to check in with the base and more supplies as soon as possible.

"That's good. We set out at dawn I want to reach Mar before sundown tomorrow, let the men know." I order making him nod and exit the tent to spread the word of our next move. When we get there we'll probably spend a few days in Mar recovering before moving on. Our last stop had only been brief and at a small town that we couldn't afford to stay at for long but Mar is now one of our bases with more to offer. After that we'll head out towards wherever the nearest siege is at the moment to take out any enemy near them.

That's how we've been working since leaving the base at the border, taking out the enemy before they can attack the other parts of our army that are sieging cities throughout Nerksie. As far as I know there is still no sign of Rhistel but they might have changed since I was able to make contact with anyone in the know. And if there is still no sign of him then we'll just keep taking cities until we find him, he can't hide forever. Not with so many of us searching for him.

"Where the hell are you?" I wonder aloud looking over the map as though it'll somehow reveal Rhistel's location to me. If only things could be that easy.

Pulling off my boots I grab some blood and almost throw myself into a chair as I sip at it. Even with the runes used to keep the blood cool it's not as good as fresh blood but at the moment I have to take what I can get. Sure I could feed on the enemy but it take time and I prefer being able to enjoy my food without needing to watch my back plus Kor and Lilas would never let me forget it if I got stabbed because I was too busy feeding.