Chapter 45 - Emilia

It's still surreal being pregnant again so soon after Nazeph, we'd once again defied the odds of the having a child. This time it seems without the help of the Gods but as they haven't dream walked with us again we might never know if this baby was pure luck or their divine intervention like Nazeph was.

At least this time I haven't felt as drained as I did while carrying Nazeph and the bump is smaller than it was with him at this point as well. Healer Fayeth has put it down to the baby being half-elf and so not as big as a half-dragon plus the baby isn't developing wings which added to Nazeph's size while I was pregnant. My ladies who have had children have also said that the first pregnancy is always the hardest which I'm not sure is entirely true but definitely applies to what I've experienced.

Lilas has been spending more time with the Council lately as the pace of the war has really picked up ever since they started sieging and retaking cities. The army has been making lots of progress with that so far having around half of Nerkise under their control with more being taken ever day. I just hope that things can continue like this with more wins coming every day which will soon enough bring news of a complete victory. And my mates return home to Lilas, me and our children.

Kor and Bel had been split up for months now with Bel travelling with a small band of men to take out what enemy they could and disrupt supply lines. On the other hand Kor has conquered the second largest city, Rhovas, just a few days ago giving the army one of their biggest wins so far. There had been rumours that Rhistel was based there but either he got out before it was taken or he was never there in the first place.

I've just finished writing letters for Kor and Bel both letters containing most of the same information but with them split up at the moment it's easier to write individual letters for them. Lately we've being getting more letters from Kor than Bel due to him travelling around and being unable to write, it was only a few weeks ago that he learnt about the new baby despite the letter being sent a few months ago. He sent a letter back that was several pages long and mostly filled with how much he wanted to be home with us.

"Could you send this to the Council Hall please?" I ask a maid that's delivering more tea for Lady Erika and me. It's just the two of us this afternoon as the rest of my ladies are occupied with a visit to one of the hospitals in the city, we'd have gone as well but I'd felt ill and tired all morning so I'd decided to stay behind and rest this afternoon. Plus visiting already injured soldiers while ill wouldn't be good for any of us, it's most likely that I've been ill due to the pregnancy but if it's something else I don't want to pass it on to them.

"Yes your Majesty." She replies taking the letter and leaving the room quickly. I hope to hear from them soon or better yet have them back in person.

"I'm sure they'll be back in Hadlau soon." Erika says from where she's sat playing with Nazeph knowing what's on my mind lately. She was the first to volunteer to stay here with me and loves spending time with Nazeph. When I'd asked her about it a few days ago she'd admitted to always wanting children before she was turned into a vampire which put her dream out of reach for good.

"It does seem to be going that way." I reply smiling happily as I join her over on the settees reaching out for my son. Erika's smile dims slightly but she hands him over none the less, he's smiling as he settles into my arms and immediately reaches for my necklace so he can play with it. "Lilas was telling me that the Council is already drawing up plans for a celebration of their return home."

"The whole city is looking forward to their return home so a large celebration is warranted." She tells me reluctantly picking up a book she'd picked out of the library earlier to occupy herself now that she doesn't have Nazeph to play with.

"True, but I just want my mates home. Once their back we're hoping to have some time alone at the castle. It'll be good for us I think just the five, or six, of us getting to spend time together so that Kor and Bel can get to know Nazeph and the new baby if they're here by then."

"Sounds like a wonderful plan, your Majesty." She says a wistful tone in her voice. Gods I'd nearly forgot that her own Soulmate lives far away from here with another woman and they don't speak at all.

"Erika I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to..." I apologise hoping that what I've said hasn't caused her too much pain. Not only does she not have a good relationship with her Soulmate but he was the one to turn her and take away her chance for children hurting her from their first meeting.

"It's fine your Majesty. I'm used to it by now. Just because my Soulmate and I don't get along doesn't mean others shouldn't talk about their happiness together." Her smile is tight as she tries to bury the pain deep down as she always seems to whenever any of us mention our Soulmates or children. We try not to bring it up too often but they're our families so inevitably conversation turns to them, even more so since Nazeph was born.

Despite that I let the conversation end there not wanting to cause her anymore pain, even if she says that she's used to it I don't want to keep throwing it in her face. Instead I turn my attention to Nazeph who's babbling on my lap and playing with my necklace, he's getting close to his first words now. Lilas and I have a small competition going on what his first words will be but so far he's keeping us in suspense, his babbling sometimes sounding closer to 'mama' other times to 'dada'.

With him happily occupied I take the opportunity to stretch his wings as Healer Fayeth has shown us to. The simple movement is helping to strengthen his muscles so that as he gets older he'll have an easier time learning to fly and better control of them. Volethe has told me stories of other half-dragons he knows who even fully grown have very little awareness of their wings and are constantly bumping into things with them. I don't want that for my son.

He doesn't tolerate me moving his wings for too long though starting to wriggle in my arms. As much as we've tried to make it a game and something fun for him he only has so much patience for it so I let go of his wings. Happy to be free he giggles as fluttering his wings slightly before letting them rest against his back making me laugh as well.

"Such a good boy Naz." I praise leaning forward to kiss his head. The next session is always easier if the previous one ends with a kiss and praise even if it's only been a few minutes of moving his wings. Not that he actually understands what I've said but it makes him babble happily at me with a gummy smile on his face.

"He's always so happy." Erika sighs watching the two of us fondly.

"Yes, my little ray of sunshine. He never fails to brighten mine and Lilas's day which we tend to need with how everything has been dragging on for so long." I smile tickling Nazeph's stomach getting a shriek of laughter from him.

"I have some news on that front." Lilas says walking into the drawing room to take a seat next to me and Nazeph, "We've received reports that the army is laying siege to the last cities except for the capital that are under Rhistel's control. All reports from our spies point to Rhistel holing himself up in the capital city now so they'll surround and take that one last so he has no other place to hide in."

"That's wonderful news." I breathe out not quite able to believe it. So long as everything goes to plan then Kor and Bel will be flying home to us soon.

"It truly is. Congratulations your Majesties." Erika says curtsying to us before taking her leave to give us some privacy. It's become my ladies' habit to depart for the day once Lilas returns home.

"Does that mean that they'll be home soon?" I ask him wanting to be sure.

"Yes, it may still take a few months for them to take all the cities. Knowing Kor and Bel though they won't leave until Rhistel has been found and stopped. They won't leave a threat like him loose to cause problems again."

"Did you hear that Naz? Your Father and Papa will be home soon." I tell Nazeph happily standing and lifting him over my head as I spin around slowly making him laugh. None of this means anything to him though to him it's simply something fun, he loves being up high and being spun around.

"Yes they will." Lilas stands and joins us wrapping his arms around my waist as I bring Nazeph back down to a more secure hold in my arms, "Soon we'll all be together again. And I've made sure that the Council know that once they're back we're going to the castle for some alone time but they have asked we not be gone for the week we originally wanted, depending on when they're back though. If you're close to term we'll stay until the baby is old enough to travel."

"I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be nice to have you all to myself even if it's only for a few days rather than the week we said before they left." I lean my head back against his shoulder letting him support my weight for a few minutes before we sit back down ready for a quiet evening full of hope.