38. An alternative escape

Here I thought of having enough from villains. Now it is heroes that I can't stand. Goldheart's ears hurt from me yelling at him to get lost. Black hat already mocked me and now him?

"If you want to help me do one thing and only one."

"I am all ears...for now"

My frown made it clear that this is no laughing matter, "protect this town and it's citizens from black hat".

Goldheart looked confused,"You seriously want me to save a town that couldn't give a damn about you? They celebrate Abigail, a villain, for the rescue. Why do you still care for them?"

"Because..." My eyes wandered to the articles, "...they were played. Nothing was their fault." They only act the most human way possible, they are terrified of black hat and his actions. According to Flug, what I have witnessed so far was only the tip of the iceberg what lies below is best not to find out.

Caught off guard Goldheart held my hands tenderly, "I promise. So what about me and you?"

Turning my back I left the building, "There is no me and you. Just do your job as the hero."

"What will you do now?"

Looking back he could tell, ai was determined, "I am going back". Afraid of my choice he fears that I sign his contract and fine it is.

No.

There's more to that.

I have a plan.

For this I used the libraries phone and the number I found in my old draw. It felt awkward to be back, staring at the book with notes. Ah, no time to daydream!

Goldheart watched as I scribbled a few things into the book, stepping forward,"Be careful sweetie. This guy is no one you should mess with. If you need any help I am here for you."

I nodded in approval before I heard a very familiar voice on the phone, "Hello?"

Gesturing him to leave me be, my focus was back to the man on the phone, "Hey lab rat". Goldheart raised a brow at that greeting while my hand is still giving him the sign to leave. In the meantime the lab rat spoke up, "What the hell Y/N. You been gone a few days and this is how you remember me by?"

"Sorry Flug, I had company."

Hearing a growl on the other end he murmured,"...him..."

"Anyway, how's things?"

The doc sighted deeply. I don't have to be present to see him press the bridge of his nose...at least he tries over the paperbag, "Your...replacement...doesn't seem to require the right standards for this job."

"It's a maid job, not rocket science"

The doc remained silent, "With the Master it's suicidal"

"True, true" just the thought of her getting bullied and humiliated it's hard not to feel sorry for her. Nah, zero regrets, "How's Abi doing? I mean is it the same as my previous job description?"

"Not at all" he said quickly. The job offer sounded heavenly compared to mine, making me angry. But this wasn't the time to get into an argument.

"Flugie dear?"

"No"

"You don't even know what I want?!"

He clicked his tongue, "Return in exchange for your signature."

"I am not interested to sell off. However, I would like to give him an offer."

A minute of silence went through the line, until he spoke up. His voice sounded concerned, "Don't play with him. No one ever outsmarted him."

"I don't play games Flug. My offer is pure business."

"What's the catch?"

I chuckled lightly, "Pick me up Fluggy buggy"

"...you got two healthy legs...walk..." He announced that the fair gets paid and that's it, the call was cut off. Oh well, there goes nothing.

Flug was sweating badly. His hand is still holding the phone, while a black glove hold his wrist. Another cut the call.

"An offer?" The deep and obvious amused sound from black hat scares Flug. Demencia who heard the conversation is getting all excited. She asked for permission to retrieve me at the fair. Black hat just shrugged, looking disgusted at the huggy pillow of himself. It's completely covered with lip stick kisses. Her request to get another version with him shirtless made Black hat shudder. No one wanted to hear that... especially not Flug.

At the fair I got a warm welcome from the boat owner.

"You again...what do you want?!"

Okay not so warm mind.

"Hat Island. Dr. Flug paid the ticket"

He checked the list while grumbling to himself, "Get on!"

Geez, would it hurt to be more friendly to his customers? He even took off before I could step on. Making a huge jump I held on to the side, "Whats the big idea?!"

"Not my fault you're so slow"

Thirty seconds...he gave me thirty seconds! He must be working for black hat. Without further ado we made our way to the island.

From the distance my eyes have noticed something bright green dancing around the shore. Since when does this island have cheerleaders?

"Y/N!!!!!!!!"

I went pale, "No...not her...hey any chance to get a drive back?"

"Only one way is paid!" He shouted while giving my back a push. With face first in the sand he left me there. Demencia kneeled beside me giggling, "How are you Y/N?"

I know what she wants and I don't want to do it now. Moving my head in the opposite direction to breath, I said weakly, "I had it better".

"It will get better" she giggled even more insane, grabbing on to my foot, "Let get my shirtless love of my life!"

Remaining on the ground I pointed at the desert,"Before we do that, make sure I die on my way."

Side note: Don't ever say such sarcastic things towards Demencia. Because she takes those remarks... literally. If I am lucky I get there in one piece.