Newbie

Emma's POV
As I walked around, I started getting hungry. I don't know how people pay for things here. I leaned back against a tree and watched the people go about their business. "Hey, you ok?" I heard. I looked over and saw this blue eyed blonde girl. "Yeah. Why is everyone here either super nice or super mean?" I asked. She laughed. "Sounds like you met the bandits. I'm Courtney. I'm part of the newcomers committee. We look for newbies like you, so we can help you adapt" she said. "Oh" I said. "You hungry? Come on" she waved me over. I followed her. "We don't pay for food here. Or anything for that matter. You just have to ask or else its considered stealing" She said. "How has this place not collapsed?" I asked. "We sell our products to other countries. The money they give us, goes into accounts for everyone here. Once you decide to leave, or reach twenty years old, you get your account. I'm not sure how the accounting system works, but the people that have left here have had very successful lives money wise" she said. "This is a country?" I asked. "This is an Island. We're technically U.S. territory. Perks of being off the coast of Florida" she rolled her eyes. We walked up to a stand. I swear every part of this place I've seen so far is like a farmers market. "You allergic to anything?" She asked. I shook my head. "Hey Chad!" She yelled. The guy looked over. "Hey Courtney. Long time no see. What can I get for you?" He asked. "You already know what I want. Make it two" she said. "Got it" he smiled. "Does everyone know each other here?" I asked. "No, but everyone knows me." She shrugged. Before I could ask why, Chad came back and handed her two sandwiches. She handed one to me and gestured with her head for me to follow. "You want a tour?" She asked. "Uh... sure" I shrugged.

"This is Drivers Gully. When kids wanna learn to drive, we teach them here, or they just learn by themselves." She said. A guy on a motorcycle zoomed by and crashed into a tree. "And that's why you should ask for assistance and not do it yourself" she said. I giggled. "So, is there still school here?" I asked. She choked. "God no. We learn everything faster then a normal school system teaches. Oh! No driving outside of Drivers Gully by the way" she added. "Do you guys have no electronics here?" I asked. "Of course we have electronics. This is a teen Island. Come on, we'll get you a phone" she said.

"Thanks Courtney" I smiled. "No problem. What's your name?" She asked. "Emma. Why does everyone know you?" I asked. She went to speak but was stopped. "Courtney! Dinner at eight!" A guy yelled. "Ok!" She yelled back. "Whos that?" I asked. "One of my roommates. Oh, let me help you with your sleeping conditions." She said. We started walking again. "Until you find yourself some roommates, you can sleep in the main part of town. No one lives alone here. We make sure of that. At night, there is a night market, but its small and has a law of silence. Next to it, is the sleeping grounds. Basically, a bunch of tents get set up for newbies without roommates. Find some roommates soon because if you don't, they'll shun you. Besides, I doubt you wanna you stay in a tent for your years here" she said. I laughed. "Definitely not. I'm sure Ill find a roommate" I said. "Good luck. If you need anything, ask for me. Like I said, everyone knows me" she walked away.

Courtney was one hundred percent correct. Its just a bunch of tents. The unoccupied ones are open and the others are closed. I climbed into one and closed the zipper. I got into the sleeping bag and curled up into a ball. This is all really confusing. I saw a light pass by my tent. Maybe someone's coming back from the night market. I heard a crackle. A very specific crackle. The light stayed next to my tent and I sat up in confusion. That light is fire, and if its that low, its coming from someone's hand. What the hell is someone doing with a fireball right now? The light got closer and closer. I panicked and tackled the persons legs from inside the tent. They fell and the tent caught on fire. I struggled out of burning tent and was sprayed with a fire extinguisher by someone. The guy ran off, only to be stopped by a gun shot. The guy screamed out in pain and fell, clutching his leg. I wiped the foam out of my eyes. "Tony?" I asked. "Oh, you again?" He asked. He dropped the extinguisher. "Did you shoot him?" I asked. "No. Carter did" he said. I glanced back and saw Carter running after the guy. "Come on, lets get you cleaned up" Tony said.

"I was starting to think there weren't any actual buildings here" I said. "The entrance to our base is in a rock." Tony said, unamused. "But you don't live in a rock. This is a building" I said. "That's true. Ok, this might sting a little" he said. He dabbed a cloth on my ankle and I hissed at the contact. "That guy seems to have it out for you. Do you know him?" He asked. I shook my head. "I just got here. I barely know you" I said. Carter came in as Tony wrapped up my ankle. "Couldn't catch him. Took off on a dirt bike. Probably stole it" she shrugged. She saw me and stopped. She stared at me for a moment. "Why is she here?" She asked. "Honestly?" Tony started as he turned to her. "I knew you wouldn't catch him. That guy obviously has it out for her. We cant leave her out there. He'll just come back" Tony said. Carter sighed and walked to me. "You ok?" She asked. I nodded. "Ill be fine" I shrugged. "That wasnt my question." She said. Carter never smiles. She's so strict. I shrunk under her words. "No, I'm not ok" I sighed. "What's your name?" She asked. "Emma" I responded. She turned and walked back to the kitchen, doing her own business. "Ill ask the king about this guy. We don't get a lot of arsonists. In the mean time, we cant let you stay here unless you're our roommate" Carter said, pulling a cup out of the cabinet. "Are you suggesting what I think you are?" Tony asked walking to her. Carter poured a variety of alcohol into her glass. "There's no way you're old enough for that" I said, concerned. "The only age limit here is the one required to be on the Island. Besides, you're one to talk tween" she said, sipping her drink. "Carter" Tony said sternly. Carter turned her attention back to him. "What else would I mean Tony? Do you see a team here? I don't. Id like to have a team again" Carter snapped. Tony wiped his face with his hand and turned to me. "To be our roommate, you have to become a teen bandit." Tony said. Carter walked to us. "And to be a teen bandit, you have to be a teenager. You can stay until your ankle heals. Once you're thirteen, we'll start your training" Carter said. She walked towards her room. Her hips swayed as she walked. "Tony, take her to her room" she ordered. Tony growled under his breath. "Come on Emma. You can pick which room you want" he said. "How do you put up with her? You don't get along very well" I noticed. Tony started walking with me to the rooms. "That's the thing about the teen bandits. We're like a family. The rest of our family left a few months ago after they all aged out. Carters actually pretty cool in a group setting. Then again, she only recently became the leader after they left so, I'm not really sure how this'll work. Regardless, Carters like a sister to me. She's annoying, but I respect her" he said. I smiled. "Thank you Tony" I smiled. "Sleep tight" he said, walking away.