Brother

Emma's POV
I walked out into the living room. Courtney is sitting at the island in the kitchen angrily tapping her computer and grumbling to herself. "What's she doing?" I asked. "Trying to stalk these two guys that she thinks are weird" Oliver said. "I'm not crazy! They are weird! I will expose them" Courtney said, determined. "Has she been sleeping?" I asked. "No" Stephanie said. "Why are they so weird Courtney?" I asked. "I don't know! They just are!" She said. "I'm sure they aren't that bad." I said. "One of them doesn't even have any socials! Who doesn't have any socials?!" She shouted. "Babe calm down" Stephanie said. Courtney put her head on the counter. "Fuck you Noah North!" She said. My eyes widened in fear. "What did you just say?" I asked. "Fuck Noah North" she repeated. "You ok Emma?" Oliver asked. "What did he look like?" I asked ignoring him. "Tall, blonde, he was sixteen, looked like a jerk, and he was bathed in body spray" Courtney said. I started shaking. "Was he with anyone?" I asked shakily. Courtney raised an eyebrow. "Yeah. His buddy Darrel Dune." She said. My heart stopped. Everything slowed around me. My ears started ringing and I stared at the ground wide eyed. "Emma?" Stephanie asked. She shook me but I still cant move. "Carter!" Oliver yelled. Carter came in and leaned down to me. "What happened? What's wrong with her?" Carter asked. "I don't know. I just said the names of the guys I told you about" Courtney said. "Emma snap out of it. Talk to me" Carter said. "He's here for me" I whispered. "What?" Carter asked. I slowly looked up at her. "He's here for me" I said. She was taken back. "Who is he?" Carter asked. "My brother" I said. "Whos the other guy?" Courtney asked. "His friend. Noah follows him everywhere. They came to take me home." I said. "They aren't taking you anywhere. Oliver get the others. We have to catch those guys" Carter said. "Is that allowed?" I asked. "Its illegal to steal a kid off the island if that kid chose to stay" Carter said. "Carter, I cant face him" I said. "You wont have too. We'll handle it" Carter said.

Its night. I'm in Carters room. I cant think about anything. "Are you sure you're ok?" Carter asked. "I'm fine" I said. "Emma" she said sternly. "I said I'm fine" I snapped. She raised up her eyebrows calmly. My eyes softened. "I'm sorry. I just... I don't wanna talk" I said. She nodded. "I'm gonna have Clay stay with you while the rest of us find your brother, ok?" She said. "Am I being punished?" I asked sarcastically. She smiled and rolled her eyes. "No. I just cant leave you alone, and I know Clay will take the job seriously since he seems to be the most afraid of me" she said. "Why cant you stay with me?" I asked. She smiled. "Because I'm an adrenaline junkie and Ill take any chance to shoot somebody" she said. I laughed. "Just don't kill him" I said. "I'm not a monster, just a bandit. Now go to sleep. You need to rest tween" she said. I pulled her into bed with me and held onto her tightly. I need all the support I can get right now.

I woke up and everyone was gone. I went into the living room. "Morning" Clay said. He's playing a video game. "Its like ten in the morning man. Why are you playing that?" I asked. "Because I didn't get to play shit like this when I lived with my parents. I'm making up for lost time" he said. "You couldn't play video games?" I asked. "Yeah but sonic got boring after a while" he said. "You didn't play anything else?" I asked. "Sonic, Mario, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, stuff like that. Not any violent games like this one" he said. "Why?" I asked. "My mom is a bible thumper" he said. "Ok" I said. I went to the kitchen and got a water. "Do you think they'll find my brother?" I asked. "Without you as bait? Probably not" he said. I looked at the front door. "Maybe I should go then." I said. "Uh... no you wont. I have strict orders. You are not to leave the lair" he said. "What? Carter never said I couldn't leave" I said. "She said it to me. Threatened to shoot me with a real gun if I didn't. She really cares about you" he said. "I cant stay here when I'm the only one who knows how to find my brother" I said. "You're not leaving Emma. Please don't make me jump you. I'm really getting into this game" he said. I sighed. "Fine" I said.

After watching Clay play his stupid shooting game for an hour, I needed something to do. "Why are you here Clay?" I asked. "What?" He asked. "Why are you on the island? You don't seem like the type of kid to be here" I said. "Uh, I got kidnapped. Duh" he said. "Yeah but why. What happened to you?" I asked. "I was unwanted" he said. "What?" I asked surprised. "Yeah. See, I have five siblings, and I'm the only mutant." He said. "How is that possible?" I asked. "My mom and dad are both carriers for mutant DNA, and I guess I got the short end of the stick. I mean, that's how the Punnett square works right?" He said with a laugh. "So your family is all human?" I asked. "Yeah. My family suffered because of me. People always said my mom cheated or that I was adopted. After a while, my parents decided it was easier to say I was adopted. I hated it though and told people that I wasnt. Of course whos gonna believe a kid though so they all said I was delusional. I ended up being sent to the guidance counselor everyday because people thought I was crazy, and my parents were perfectly ok with it" he said. "Wow" I said. "Yeah, I got really mad, and then I got kidnapped" he said. "Do you ever wonder what your parents did after you left?" I asked. "They got divorced. I stalked their Facebook accounts. My mom told everyone they sent me back to the orphanage and my dad finally had enough of her. So he left. I wish he would have done it sooner" he said. "I'm sorry that happened Clay" I said. "I'm not. I love it here. I'm proud of my past. I'm proud of who I am. And no one can change that now but me. Frankly, I'm better off here. I'm finally in charge of my own life" he said. "I wish I could say that" I said. "What? That you're in charge of your life?" He asked. I nodded. "Yeah. Cause even on this island, I'm not allowed to leave the house" I said. He froze and slowly looked at me. "I hate you" he sighed. I smiled and got up. "Let me finish this part and then Ill go with you" he said. "If it makes a difference, I like having you around Clay. You make a better brother than Darrel" I said. He smiled at me. "Thanks" he said.