f i v e

Death and Cherry Blossoms

November 2021

Danbi:

"I can't believe it took Yoongi nearly two months to invite you all over." I see how Yoongi rolls his eyes behind his wife's back as she leads us into their dining room.

"Do you guys want something to drink?" Being the perfect host, Ahri takes our jackets and hands them to Yoongi.

"Don't blame him Ahri, he asked us multiple times. That's the first time that all of us are free." I smile at her and let my eyes wander over the interior design of their house. It's not as huge as I expected it to be for someone whose father owns a multi-million-dollar company and has a husband who has a leading position in it. It's still double the size of my apartment though.

It's not the first time I'm meeting Ahri. Yoongi brought her to the bar, we were having drinks at with Jin and Hoseok, who I also met that evening, and on another occasion, when we were having lunch at Jin's. She's a kind and lovable person, very approachable and open for new people. I don't mind another woman in our group of friends at all, because Areum is travelling a lot.

Today's one of the rare occasions Areum is also with us, next to Namjoon, Jin, Hoseok, Jimin, Jungkook and even my little brother Taehyung, who could make it last minute. Thanks to Jin, our two friend groups just merged during the last two months. Jungkook also works hard on Yoongi's case. He's a friend of my brother and started working at our law firm as an assistant lawyer during the end of his studies. It isn't rare, that Jungkook, Namjoon and I go out for drinks or dinner after work. Yoongi introduced us to Jimin and Hoseok, who both work for him.

In the beginning I was surprised that I also spend a lot of time with Yoongi. Weather I joined him and Namjoon, or him and Jin or we're alone, it doesn't matter, we get along great. I'm glad to call him my friend. We meet up for lunch a lot, mostly when he's meeting Namjoon and Jungkook at the law firm before or after lunch time. It turns out that we have a lot in common.

We're all sitting around the huge dinner table, with Namjoon to my left and my little brother to my right. Across from me are Yoongi and Ahri, although Ahri is constantly getting up and checking on the food in the kitchen.

"Do you all have plans for New Year's Eve already?" Ahri asks, smiling at us.

I hate New Year's Eve. There's always the pressure of doing something special or being at a big party. Months before the event, people are panicking what they're supposed to do, who they're going to meet with, which food they will have...I just don't like it.

I spent last year with Jin, watching movies and passing out before it was even midnight. I don't have any plans for this year. Maybe I'll get away to some spa or hotel and just pamper myself, away from all the trouble and commotion.

"If you don't have anything to do, you have to come to my New Year's event for my charity. We're having this every year. It's like a big gala, to collect money for the organizations my charity works with. You're all invited." Ahri is beaming as she's talking about her charity organization.

Other than Yoongi and her father she doesn't work for Kim Enterprises. But the company is one of the main supporters for the Kim fund. I didn't know Ahri is one of the chairwomen of that charity.

"I've heard about the organization and the gala. I didn't know you were part of it?" The gala is well known in Seoul, many big companies and influential people participate in it.

"I'm organizing it. My mother founded the charity."

"Oh, so she's still leading it?" I ask and see Ahri gulp at my question.