t h i r t y - f i v e

Fear and Signatures

Yoongi

"It's Ahri. Can I come in?"

I furrow my brows when I hear Ahri's voice through the intercom. Why is she here? I look back at Danbi and open the door to the building.

"Who is it?" She asks me and I swallow before I answer. This could get ugly pretty fast.

"It's Ahri." I tell her, already feeling myself getting anxious.

"What? Why is she here?" She asks and I shrug my shoulders, right when we hear the doorbell ring for a second time.

I take a deep breath and open the door, letting Ahri in. I notice the envelope, I left her, in her hands and I hope that she's here because she signed the papers, not to throw them in my face and tell me to go fuck myself.

Danbi's sitting up on the couch when Ahri walks in, clearly not knowing what she's supposed to do as she gets up slowly. I immediately notice her fumbling with her fingers, the ultimate sign that she's nervous.

"Why are you here?" I ask Ahri.

"We have to talk, Yoongi."

I try to hear something in her voice or read something off her expression to figure out if this means something good or bad, but I get nothing.

"I'll give you some space." Danbi says and is about to leave the living room, but Ahri stops her.

"No, please stay if you want to. Can we sit down somewhere?"

We go to the kitchen and Ahri sits down at the kitchen table, while I sit across from her.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Danbi asks her and Ahri nods at her.

"Just some water would be great, thank you."

Danbi places a glass of water in front of her and I can see her brows furrow in concentration, while she tries not to spill any due to the shaking of her hands.

She sits down next to me and I contemplate taking her hand under the table, but I refrain from doing so.

I watch Ahri observing me and Danbi sitting next to each other. Her gaze lingers on Danbi's shirt for a second before she looks down at the table.

"I'm sorry. I just have to gather my thoughts for a second." She mumbles.

"It's alright, take your time."

To say that this is awkward is the understatement of the century. I feel how tense Danbi is next to me, and Ahri is struggling to find words. I just want to get this over with.

"I...uhm, I was at your parents' house. I just wanted to talk to them, I didn't say anything bad. I've always been close with your parents, especially with your mom, and they were so kind to me."

I nod my head. "Yeah, I know. We stayed at their house last night when we visited them."

Ahri looks between the two of us, surprised. "Oh." She says, looking down for a second. "You are really serious then."

I sigh and look at Danbi. She looks back at me and slightly lifts the corner of her mouth.

"We are. Ahri, I'm so sorry for what I did to you, and I'm sorry that I went behind your back for so long. And I'm sorry for how I told you, I should have handled that differently. I just want us both to be happy and I know I'm being egotistical. I'm hurting you to achieve my own happiness. You were right, I was giving you a lot of excuses, but I'm done with that. I want to be honest with you. If I could, I would do it differently now, but I would do it again."