t h i r t y - o n e

Friends and Distractions

Danbi

I'm distracted by my own thoughts and don't notice when Yoongi wraps his arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to him. He kisses the top of my head and looks at me with tears in his eyes.

"No. It's not. At least not for me. I can't and I won't stop you, if this is not what you want anymore, but I still want this. Us."

I feel relieved to hear that on the hand, on the other hand I'm afraid to keep going. We go on like before and then? The next time he wants to tell Ahri anything else happens and we're back at square one. But I don't want to give up on us.

"I want this too." My mouth speaks before my mind is done processing.

Yoongi releases a breath, which seems like he was holding it for a while. He takes my hands and pulls me over to him.

So, this is how I'm sitting here again, straddled on his lap, with my arms wrapped securely around his neck, foreheads pressed together.

I can't help it. Although it would be better for everyone involved, I can't say no to him.

He wraps his hand around my neck, pressing our lips together, molding them together in a passionate kiss.

But something is different. More than ever, I can feel the cold metal on his ring finger as his hand is wrapped around my neck. At that moment, I become all the more aware of the significance of the piece of jewelry on his finger. Usually he would take it off, but not today.

Something else is different. I can feel his guilt while he's kissing me and to be honest, I feel it too.

His guilt and consciousness that's telling him he should be somewhere else right now, be with his wife, and mine that's feeling like hell because I'm doing this, while a friend is suffering.

I break the kiss and pull back, looking to the side in shame.

"I still want this, but I can't do this right now."

I see him nod from the corner of my eye. "Yeah, me neither."

He puts his hands on my hips and pushes me off gently, getting up with me. He stands in front of me and lifts his hands up to hold my face between them. His thumbs are brushing my cheeks lovingly and there's a slight but sad smile on his lips.

"I'm sorry I can't be there for you right now. You don't deserve this."

I shake my head and try to give him a genuine smile. "No, it's okay. Be there for Ahri, she needs you more right now. Just please don't ignore my messages."

He nods his head. "I promise." He leaves a tender kiss on my forehead. "I have to go back to the clinic now. I'm sorry."

He apologized a lot today, but what can I do, other than accepting his apology and trust him.